Close
animefan01 said:
i think that the bad thing about being an illustrator for a living is that you cant actually pick what you want to draw and then drawing kinda would become more serious instead of being fun...
becoming a manga-ka is my choice because i'm free to express myself and make a living.
just a thought i thought i'd share.
I have friends and contacts that are either illustrators, artists, photographers and other fields of study that are within the art major. They all love what they do but often time you can't find work as simply you're now a part of a specialized niche. Unless you make it big big big, you'll have to work part time in another field just to make a living.

I have a close friend who is a photographer mostly doing weddings and event but she still manage a fast food restaurant since work isn't exactly lining up for her. Either way choose carefully if you plan on pursuing a career / education in it. You don't wanna end up as a debt slave to your debt.

Also I chose Engineering because I love it, i can find jobs (hopefully as there's actually a demand for them) and it creates more than enough capital for me to engross myself in hobbies such as drawing, photography, traveling, purchasing items, paying bills and buying anime merchandise "Dollfie Dreams, Tapestries, and Mitsumi Misato calenders :D."
i wish Riven is lurking enough to see this...

as for me... most of my... drawings... are based from my nightmares and dreams... which i think i should just drew them from the raw material than refining them into something more logically realistic...
natsumenatsu said:

as for me... most of my... drawings... are based from my nightmares and dreams... which i think i should just drew them from the raw material than refining them into something more logically realistic...
ow...you still able to remember a dream you had last night? i usually easily to forget the dream that i have ....maybe because...i not really care about ...dream when i slept ....
i have a notebook next to me to write keywords in the middle of the night that will eventually make me remember what i dreamed that night...
oh, so acording to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDYPFuSfqKw
kantoku draws on paper, scans and colors with mouse!i might try this instead of buying a tablet, i'ts money saving.
i know someone will enjoy this...*cough*katsu*cough*
animefan01 said:
kantoku draws on paper, scans and colors with mouse!i might try this instead of buying a tablet, i'ts money saving.
it's the making of post #233437
i think that's the old way of doing it... but it wastes a lot of paper... and you need to store them properly too...
animefan01 said:
Ohhh...animefan01, you find something good,...nice....
Ugh....he really using...lasso....for coloring...
so he using lasso, brush, eraser...pen tool...transform...ugh...i....still not really understand ...some...part..especially...skirt part...

yeah...mouse is more cheaper.....since i don't have scanner ......i use camera as alternative.. .so i use pen tool to make line art....and i also use pen tool, brush, eraser, ...maybe i should try use lasso for experiment
....and nice found animefan01 ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
animefan01 said:
anyway, you guys should know abut yuu KAMIYA, that actually is brazillian, that designed charas for itsuka tenma and that has his novel no game no life getting an anime adaptation in april! we should support him!
omg he's from my fucking country my fucking piss of a undeveloped country
I can't believe it I'm so fucking proud of him

I'm studying something else on university right now, but I will continue doing my arts... I truly admire people who are so passionate about art that are willing to dedicate their lives to it! I don't have any advice to give, though, besides enjoying art as much as you can...

good luck!! it would be lovely to read a manga from you someday. it was nice of you to make a topic about it too.
natsumenatsu said:

that sounds fucking amazing lol. I love surreal art! it doesn't have to be logic to be good! (I often enjoy pieces that challenge logic and common sense! Don't you?)
oh... so this is why... ahaha... anyway... well... most of mine are not even close to dali surreal... mostly monsters for my nightmares... and none existing cognition of familiar subjects for dreams...
natsumenatsu said:
oh... so this is why... ahaha... anyway... well... most of mine are not even close to dali surreal... mostly monsters for my nightmares... and none existing cognition of familiar subjects for dreams...
that sounds interesting! even if its not dali surreal hahaha
i think im gonna start writting down my dreams to draw them later too, what a great idea!
natsumenatsu said:
Debbie said:
that sounds interesting! even if its not dali surreal hahaha
i think im gonna start writting down my dreams to draw them later too, what a great idea!
it's will bw more interesting if both of you, upload your art in devi or pixiv
K@tsu said:
it's will bw more interesting if both of you, upload your art in devi or pixiv
hahaha i do, thanks for caring k@tsu <3
i havent been able to draw much recently (thank you university), but im gonna try to draw more freely in the future!
i actually have a few... but i don't think i'll be sharing those...
UPDATE TIME!
this thread is getting dusty....
blablabla
i wanted to advertise shilin's art since nothing better i can do.
http://carciphona.com/view.php?page=cover&chapter=1&lang=
it's her webcomic and the girls i uploaded are from it...
it's a bit confusing at first but the art vastly improves.
her DA
http://shilin.deviantart.com/
blablabla
me on da and my tutorial favorites that are helpful so check them out...[ nothing uploaded there though...]
http://manganime01.deviantart.com/favourites/
you guys can upload some of my art faves if you want...
enjoy!!!!!!!!!
maybe ...this is time to visit devi again....
I'd like to contribute something.

here is a few links to browsing some tags for tutorial on Pixiv. popular terms include course (講座) beginners (初心者向け) and making (メイキング) of course all of these tutorials are in Japanese, so unless you can read Japanese, it limits which tutorials are useful. however most of them you can just look at the pictures and draw from that.

course
http://www.pixiv.net/search.php?s_mode=s_tag_full&word=%E8%AC%9B%E5%BA%A7

beginners
http://www.pixiv.net/search.php?s_mode=s_tag_full&word=%E5%88%9D%E5%BF%83%E8%80%85%E5%90%91%E3%81%91

making
http://www.pixiv.net/search.php?s_mode=s_tag_full&word=%E3%83%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0

I've found that the easiest way to find other good tutorials is to make an account and favorite tutorials; which then takes to a screen that recommends other works based on their tags.

I hope this can help everyone! It has certainly helped me practice and improve my performance!
@ShayminSky, thanks for sharing
Bonus! Animation College in Japan! Osaka Animation College! Traditional and CG art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWGbK0svXpU
Design inspiration?
I've been having trouble designing characters lately... I've written lots of stories and most of their designs are done, but the final characters, I'm having trouble to design...
It's supposed to be 3 characters.
1- Supposed to be a mermaid, but I don't want to go with a stereotypical design. I tried googling " anime mermaid " but big eyed lolis aren't what I think about when I hear "mermaid'
2- Ice Prince
3- Fairy
It doesn't sound hard at first, but I want my designs to stand out and I don't know how...
All of them are in the same story, which is obviously fantasy fairy tail like...
Any ideas?
animefan01 said:
Design inspiration?
I've been having trouble designing characters lately... I've written lots of stories and most of their designs are done, but the final characters, I'm having trouble to design...
It's supposed to be 3 characters.
1- Supposed to be a mermaid, but I don't want to go with a stereotypical design. I tried googling " anime mermaid " but big eyed lolis aren't what I think about when I hear "mermaid'
2- Ice Prince
3- Fairy
It doesn't sound hard at first, but I want my designs to stand out and I don't know how...
All of them are in the same story, which is obviously fantasy fairy tail like...
Any ideas?
The biggest advice I can give is to build your designs from life experience and your visual library. try to think about things beyond just what someone else has done and tie into the themes that "make up the character." try building spider diagrams to build. conversly; try to visit art museums and take in visual culture, it helps add to a growing visual library which in turn will help character designs.

I'm just gonna throw some ideas out there, feel free to use them.

1.(mermaid). staying away from stereotypes, a mermaid is simply a sea dwelling hominid. Think about things that are not only just into the sea, but tied to it as well. for example; check out Polynesian cultures and their art. observe art and history of seafaring cultures of all times, not just the stereotypical 1600's pirates type of character. taking those elements, adapting them to your goal time period. the swords from attack on titan are good examples of this; their removable cutoff blades are what people use in craft knives. they visualized the culture that spawned the technology and the design came after that. they use a lot of sword blades, so a detachable craft knife seems like a good source of inspiration.

2.(ice prince) some cool(heh) things to incorporate would be things like an ice cube tray, a hockey jersey, ice climbing pickaxe, what if he had ice boots? Maybe look at soviet military uniforms and incorporate that into a princely garment. ice cube trays have lots of pockets for water in them, maybe give him lots of pouches for supplies? Answer questions like where does he live? what does he have to do to live normally? does he compromise anything for comfort where and how he lives? What tools and customs are common to where he lives? what do they eat? is he affected by that?

3.(fariy) is a bit common and vague to be honest, but we can still work with it. shes a fairy; what is she a fariy of? What are her powers. Is she nice or mean? again, just ask the questions, the design will follow from your storytelling.

if the ideas just aren't coming, most people would recommend taking a break and going outside; taking a walk, doing something else, etc. My personal recommendation is to do hard exercise. turn on loud music and run on a treadmill or run outside. this will bring your adrenaline up and the music will help your brain run faster, which for me starts to create adrenaline fantasies when combined with the music I listen to. try to pick music that would fit your universe. you can also just listen to fitting music; but I recommend exercise too. I apologize if that sounds a little creepy though.

sorry if i went a little overboard, but in a case of artistic advice; i'd rather over deliver because it's what i would expect of someone answering my questions. hope it helps!
animefan01 said:
Design inspiration?
i was drowning in deep of darkness...so i don't if i can help you...but...if you wanna ...make..original character...just put...everything that appear in your mind into....sketch..no need to worry....draw all design that...you have inside....and to avoid hesitate ...just throw away/ hide you eraser....let the sketching idea..flow like water...
and since it's me ...i recommended to make them moe..if you want

1. Mermaid....there is a lot of legend about mermaid in this world...you can read basic information on wikipedia.. and here...some mermaid in yandere you also can...draw mermaid with..some cute dress ...also ....some weapon...magical stick...or guns...don't forget...to draw human version when,,,the mermaid transform into human..

2.Ice prince....remind me of grey(fairy tail)....well since ice...means cools..you can make this character looks cools and calm...emm...white...cloak... make this prince looks strong and bit mysterious

3.fairy usually fairy is small and have great magical power..one again you can draw it..with various dress ..and maybe some kind magical tools.

ok...those are something i could say.....i hope this can give you little inspiration
Thank you both for your helpful comments!
I actually never thought about a mermaid with a dress... and I don't think I've seen any so I might go with this idea... Also, thinking about a weapon is a good start since I can base the design on the style of the weapon...
For the ice prince, a coat was the base idea... and a weapon would have been included anyways so, the only problem are undergarments, since I tend to draw open coats because they look more fantasy like... Google is your best friend.
Fairy... Maybe detached wings... Or maybe she lost her wings... That could serve as a plot line too... Asuna from SAO is a good inspiration...
Again, Thank you for your replies!
I wanted to ask, does anybody know good food drawing tutorials on pixiv? I'm gonna check DeviantART now, but I want to learn from the pros...
animefan01 said:
Again, Thank you for your replies!
I wanted to ask, does anybody know good food drawing tutorials on pixiv? I'm gonna check DeviantART now, but I want to learn from the pros...
You are welcome....

hmmm....food...?

Something like this : food1 , food2

another : food_tutorial

Good luck..
A question to artists here:
As an artist, what do you think? Will you keep your name, or create a pseudonym?
I personally went for Redrum (Rdr for short). I really like it because it's simple and pretty original (I think, please tell me so I change it if needed).
I'm also part of a circle called INTERLUDE (Which has no social page or online info. at the moment)...
But what do you think? Also, do you think revealing your face is necessary?
Miwa Shirow never did it, and most Japanese singers like CLARiS are pretty famous tho no one knows what they look like...
Also, most illustrators have pseudos, and lots of them are really popular:
- redjuice
- kantoku
- tinkle
animefan01 said:

But what do you think? Also, do you think revealing your face is necessary?
i think no really need, excecpt you already popular or..you was interviewed by public...well it's up to you...if that's metode can help you became popular or succes then it's fine
animefan01 said:
I personally went for Redrum (Rdr for short). I really like it because it's simple and pretty original (I think, please tell me so I change it if needed).
Hate to be the downer, but Redrum is a very famous phrase coined in "the shining". It's murder spelled backwards. here's the video clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLjixsUEj5E

If you're okay with that it's fine, but most people are gonna see your name and think of that movie.

Also on a unrelated note I would like to request some advice. I've been practicing manga by copying other people's work in my sketchbook. Heads, eyes, hair, bodies, clothes; all that stuff. I'm pretty good at matching another person's work, but when I get to doing an original thing of my own, I'm terrible at it. It's like all the things I learned went out the window. should I be looking at other's art when creating my own stuff too?

Also do any of you guys fight the "authenticity bug"? I'm not from japan and I can't read Japanese; so it's really hard to soak up all the information from the books that I import or the tutorials that I read off pixiv. On top of that I find that there's a lot of misinformation on the subject here in the USA; whether it be the new global style of animation that seems to be taking over games and comics; or people just putting out stuff and slapping how to draw manga on it to make a quick buck. I thought to combat this by only taking in Japanese made information and tutorials on the subject, but as i said before, I can copy pretty good now, but I can't seem to take away 100% of what I learned by doing so. I seem to get into a funk really easily, and My greatest fear is becoming someone whose style is simply just a rip off copy style that you see in a lot of the american made how to draw books and though the CG concept art circles( imagnieFX, etc.) Not to say that the art of those styles has no quality at all, they do; it's just not manga art. And it's not because it's not from japan; it's because rather than research and study the techniques of Japanese comics, they simply took things for face value (big eyes!, spiky hair!) and just made something along those guidelines and slapped how to draw manga on it.

Sorry to have have a bit of a "holier than thou" attitude about all this, but I feel some manga artists (myself included) who aren't from japan and don't have access to all things like Japanese books and animation schools struggle with this problem. Is there any way to beat the authenticity bug?

One one more question, I'll keep this one brief. Does anyone know of any good books or tutorials on drawing manga men? I've been through about 4 of them and haven't been 100% satisfied with any of them.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4766117298/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Has lots of great anatomy tips, just not a fan of some of the styles, and some things just seem a bit off. made by multiple artists.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4798603759/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Again lots of great anatomy but the main artist doing all the drawings has a pretty ametuerish technique. However many artists make this book and they are mostly pretty good, just not where it counts the most. This book is also a part of the how to draw Moe series which we have uploaded part of here. This book is probably tied with the first one for best of the bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Draw-Manga-Handsome-Illustrator/dp/4415305652/ref=pd_sim_b_14?ie=UTF8&refRID=091RKGYK5QB2428Y00Y8 This one is pretty bad, I would stay away. It's one of those books that only a few people who have extensive experience with the manga basics can get any real use out of. it's just 6 different artists showing off how they make a character with not a lot of instruction.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4331518086/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's not very much of a how to draw book. It's more of a reference book on older characters. Has a lot of examples on characters and some anatomy for the bodies and faces, but not a ton. It's not super great, but there's really not another book that I've found like this, so I like at a lot for what it is.

Anyways thanks again guys; it really helps having a forum of like minded people to kind of talk to.
ShayminSky said:
Hate to be the downer, but Redrum is a very famous phrase coined in "the shining". It's murder spelled backwards. here's the video clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLjixsUEj5E

If you're okay with that it's fine, but most people are gonna see your name and think of that movie.
That's where I found it... I don't think it'll be a problem since the animanga fanbase doesn't really care about most western movies, from my experience... Maybe not in the US, but if I don't end up working in Japan, I'm just becoming an architect no matter what... manga artists were made for Japan, and I plan on becoming one, not a manga-STYLED artist if you get my point.

ShayminSky said:
should I be looking at other's art when creating my own stuff too?
Inspiration is the base of any creation. Heck, apparently, its a necessary step for ANY kind of artist, ALL OF THEM.

ShayminSky said:
Also do any of you guys fight the "authenticity bug"?Is there any way to beat the authenticity bug?
No... take a look at this:
http://myanimelist.net/people/4212/Yuu_Kamiya
Read ALL OF IT please...
There is no "Official Japanese Art Style". This guy came and IMPOSED his own art style, look:
https://yande.re/post?tags=kamiya_yuu+
ColorColorColor....
And this french guy: {It's in french but use google translate}
http://www.enchanted-destinies.com/diary/
Its the diary of an aspiring manga artist that has even met Japanese editors more than 6 times I think... He has many one shots that you can read here in "Original Manga". They're in french but a few are in english.

ShayminSky said:
One one more question, I'll keep this one brief. Does anyone know of any good books or tutorials on drawing manga men? I've been through about 4 of them and haven't been 100% satisfied with any of them.
It is hard, and I saw one once that was scanned, I'm looking for it especially for you :3 .
Anyways thanks again guys; it really helps having a forum of like minded people to kind of talk to.
You're welcome! It always feels good to help those who share the same dream as yours!