Ordering from Amazon Japan
Getting artbooks from Amazon Japan has been brought up in the forums and it really is easier than it used to be. So I've put together a general guide. Also if it's Amazon Global, your own Amazon website may be able to get it.

The good thing about Amazon Japan is that you pay the retail price, not the reseller mark up. Amazon has improved vastly from the days of 3000 yen shipping and handling fees. They accept major credit cards. I've ordered much from them since 2005 and have yet to run into any major problems. The nice part is anyone can sign up, but you must create an account with them separate from any Amazon account you already have, and have a credit card on file.

Their website is in other languages than Japanese and they ship to 65 countries. Info at this link:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/b?node=3534638051&language=en_US&pf_rd_p=b129f020-60a3-4c15-a2bb-164d012c11b5&pf_rd_r=77ANXYQ76P36D9W58HT4

Some items are from private shops and they may not ship outside of Japan. So you will have to go with Buyee, Tenso or other forwarding services.

If you sign up, aside from a strong password, take advantage of two factor authentication apps such as Google Authenticator.
That way if your password is compromised, there's that extra security.

My last order was a $13 manga and I paid $9 shipping, much less than EMS. They use DHL and they get it to the US in 2-3 days.
The usual precautions against package thieves apply so make arrangements such as a private mailbox if you are not going to be home.

So that's it, pretty simple. Have a look at the link and see if Amazon Japan will work for you.

Gene
Make sure you have different password from your other Amazon account (in your country, and assuming you use the same email address) so you won't have trouble to login with App (and Kindle) since they sometimes don't offer option to choose region manually. Having a different password will automatically login into the corresponding region.

(But I still have trouble downloading Kindle books on Android without a proxy, though.)
I've never tried getting kindle books from Amazon Japan. Is it an easy thing to convert to pdf or extract images from them? (I guess that's a google thing, but we got some seasoned pros here that can best field that subject.)
Genex said:
Is it an easy thing to convert to pdf or extract images from them?
Yes
Well, that "yes" involved installing calibre and getting the proper de-drm plugins, but I had success on both fronts.
I've ordered from them recently and it was a surprisingly issue-free shopping experience.
How long does it take for them to ship to your place? They use DHL for the US and surprisingly that takes two days. I'm also near San Francisco, so maybe that helps.
I'm not based in the US, so sorry can't help you. It was literally just a few days.
I know that much. I am in the US. I thought you were in the UK (but not sure) and was just curious.
fireattack said:
Yes
Of course I did figure this out which is a good thing, but I should ask if you could point me to a good guide on this. I'm always thinking the sources I google up would miss a few tricks especially in the drm area.
Genex said:
Of course I did figure this out which is a good thing, but I should ask if you could point me to a good guide on this. I'm always thinking the sources I google up would miss a few tricks especially in the drm area.
It's rather tedious process if you want to get the best quality.

Using Calibre + DeDRM_tools plugin can help remove DRM from most of Kindle books (with some exceptions). Extracting images from that then is trivial: the easiest way is to use Calibre again to convert it to "zip" format and extract. You can also use a tool called KindleUnpack (but I dislike it as it doesn't keep the page number well which would be a problem later on).

But some books come with high definition (not *that* high: still mostly 1920px height) resources (mainly images, in a .azw.res file). You need to use separate tool(s) to extract these, since Calibre doesn't support it yet. A simple Python2 script can do that, and I also converted it to Py3.

So all in all, the "correct" way to convert book to images is 1) using Calibre + deDRM to import the book and then convert it to zip and extract; 2) use the second tool to get the HD resources and replace the low quality images from 1). Keep in mind not all resources have HD version, only the relatively large ones, so you can't skip step 1 in most of cases.

Of course, I'm all talking about books that come with pure image format (most of artbooks fall into this). The books in text format is another story but I normally don't care about them.
Thanks much, Fireattack. the HD extract was one I wasn't even aware of. While not apropos to this board, I converted a kindle title that I deleted from my account and was no longer available for repurchase. I found it on an old macbook and converted it with Calibre and DeDRM_tools to PDF.
Speaking of which, my 2019 Kancolle Calendar arrived this afternoon. A3 size it looks like. $26.59 USD including shipping from Amazon.

Here's a peek:

http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:695936