Close
I initially found this thread (the website, I already knew it before, but I never visited the forum) by searching for book names in Japanese, so I'm assuming that Japanese people might be doing just the same.

It would be naive to think that the very relative obscurity and English language were actually a barrier towards others finding it, and likewise that the books would have not been eventually redistributed around in a way or another. That's the way the Internet has always worked and it should have not been a surprise.

If anything, making the books more difficult to access for the uninitiated is only going to incentivize those reuploading them behind ad-services, since the ads (as if most people aren't using ad-blockers nowadays) would then become a very minor annoyance in comparison to the effort required to join the private circles where the books were originally shared. Putting aside the fact that lamenting that people are redistributing commercial books that one isn't even supposed to share in the first place is kind of hypocritical...