Close
The best fix for dupes is not to have them in the first place. We just need to wait for a proper dupe detector for this site...

I don't like the idea of deleting dupes unless they are exactly the same size, or if one is poorly scanned. Some people may find them useful.
In the future we'll probably start deleting.

I guess current policy would be:

If its bigger keep, smaller ones delete
If its jpg and there's a png version delete jpg version but only if its same size or bigger if not keep both
images tagged with fixme and are parented to fixed ones, keep both.
That sounds like a good guideline. It'd be good to have a mechanism for people who have fav'd the old one to migrate to the new one, so people don't lose favorites. Without an interface to do this automatically at deletion-time, I'm not sure how to do that. (I think Danbooru has a "no deleting dupes ever" policy, so this might not be something rq will add, though it wouldn't hurt to ask.)

Should we narrow down to just one of (flag dupes, dupe pool, "duplicate" tag) ?
Personally I think all dupes should be deleted, especially if they are the same size or one is obviously in worst condition than the other, but I don't know how site management works so i'll stop here.
petopeto said:
Should we narrow down to just one of (flag dupes, dupe pool, "duplicate" tag) ?
I think the duplicate tag would work the best out of all the choices.

Also, I was thinking of adding a new feature combining parenting/child and flagging in to one for just duplicates, a button/link called "flagged as duplicate" then it'll add it to a "pool" and images will have that little bar which says this image has duplicates instead of just saying this is a parent/child.

Images in this "pool" won't show up in search or anywhere else unless they click view duplicates.
Could just put "duplicates" in the tag blacklist for users by default. That's one advantage of a tag: you can't blacklist "pool:dupes".
Hmm yeah good point easier to do then my way
I don't want duplicates blacklisted however, so as long as it's something I can undo from the blacklist, that's fine.
Should the dupes pool be used at all, or phased out? I'm looking through it and adding the duplicate tag where it's missing (to the lower-quality image), after verifying that it's really a dupe. I can remove from the pool as I do that if we're switching to the tag only.

There are some cases where there's a high-quality JPEG with bad color, and a fixed-color JPEG that was saved (relatively) low quality. I guess that's a fixme tag, not duplicate: someone who likes the image should re-level from the high-quality one, upload it as a fixed and then change the LQ one to duplicate.