Close
I use the cutter to kill the spine before using the hairdryer. And to remove some glue later without having to re-heat it.
kiowa said:/P
One question - Why is a cutter needed in the debinding process? Is it because that dry glue still contaminates scanner glass, so we need to cut the spine area off?
I haven't tried to use a razor to slice the binds yet, most of the books i debind are too small for that purpose, I think.
poor paper magazines, or just 20 pages doujinshis bounded single papers with glue, then they don't need a cutter.
thick artbooks are usually using folded papers glued, that's the case you need to use a cutter on them

[edited: thin artbook > thick*]
Paperback artbooks can usually be taken apart without cutters. Just heat the pages where they're glued to the spine and pull them out(or set of pages if they are folded). Cutting the spine can have bad results.
there are some fabric glued hard cover art books (mostly around 3000 yen or high). they can't be splited with only heat, but you may not have a chance to debind them..
noooo... remembering this thread made me feel bad for midzki's uploaded pool...

http://moe.imouto.org/pool/show/1348

ah!... kio nyan... i've seen the planetarian poster you were talking about...
All book I scanned are paid by admin2. if you feel sorry for scans, support him.
ah... but i don't have the privilege of... what do they call it?... money via the net?...
My concern is how the hell can I rebind them...
tenyuhuang said:
From what I know, rebinding is legendary in difficulty. If you aren't a professional book binder, then good luck, because you're totally going to need it. Having said that, Googlepedia says there's a guide here, though I don't know how useful it will be.
Shizashi said:
From what I know, rebinding is legendary in difficulty. If you aren't a professional book binder, then good luck, because you're totally going to need it. Having said that, Googlepedia says there's a guide here, though I don't know how useful it will be.
It seems to be damn hard from step one, and it doesn't fit for VFBs(_-_|||||||||). But thanks anyway for the suggestion=v=
i used the hairdryer method quite well so far
tenyuhuang said:
A few of my manga books has gone really old and I have used hot glue to rebind them. The typical ones you can buy at any arts and crafts store and it works quite well.

IMO, i've found it pointless to rebind them. Just stick them into clear plastic sheet protector :)
back when I debinded books, I usually just throw them out or give the debound book to someone locally who wants it..
admin2 said:
back when I debinded books, I usually just throw them out or give the debound book to someone locally who wants it..
I wish I lived near you.

midzki said:
there are many rare artbooks cost 3000~5000 yen here.
Now I know why Urotan scans are so rare... His doujins costs more than 3000 yen.

aoie_emesai said:
IMO, i've found it pointless to rebind them. Just stick them into clear plastic sheet protector :)
Yeah, debinding books didn't sound that awful to me. It's even better to have them debinded, it's more practical. You can hold the illustration you want without carrying the entire book.

My question is... What do you guys mean with the spine of the book? I've watched Pireze's video tutorial, but I couldn't understand. Do all books have it?
Debbie said:
My question is... What do you guys mean with the spine of the book? I've watched Pireze's video tutorial, but I couldn't understand. Do all books have it?
Most modern books do. It's the part (in the center when open) where all the pages come together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookbinding#Spine_orientation_and_titling_conventions
Like Aurelia posted the spine is basically the the area in which all the pages are glued / sewn together. Some doujins are stapled together, but since I don't quite know the exact definition of the spine of a book or what must it contain to be considered a spine. I would still assume the spine of a book is the area in which the pages are joined together.
Oh, I understood... Thank you very much! This was very useful.
It must be awful trying to debind stapled doujins.
After all, they are "furados", cut, how can you debind them?
Just asking out of curiosity, I don't have a stapled book.
Debbie said:
Oh, I understood... Thank you very much! This was very useful.
It must be awful trying to debind stapled doujins.
After all, they are "furados", cut, how can you debind them?
Just asking out of curiosity, I don't have a stapled book.
Stapled books are better. Since all they have are like 2-3 staples. Just use a staple remover(or w/e) and it'll look nice and clean.
Actually, stapled are the easiest. Just pull out the staples. Also, unlike any other method, you can re-bind stapled doujinshi.
I don't like stapled books coz they're hardly to align prints onto a scanner, and need to rotate each pages after scanned. (-ω-)
midzki said:
I don't like stapled books coz they're hardly to align prints onto a scanner, and need to rotate each pages after scanned. (-ω-)
If you cut the pages along the spine with a knife, no more alignment problems :)
That's why we love Butterfly Bookbinding (we called that 蝴蝶装 in Chinese but I don't know how to translate it... help me Muteki Kanban Musume Fireattack)!
When you make a portofolio or doujinshi yourself, try to ask the printing shop to make it for you. This binding style has no joints between two pages, perfect for doujinshi with large-width image, such as some posters... Not like the Saddle Stitches, it can contain more pages and there aren't even any staples in the centre joint, just an awesome two-in-one full page. (hope you can understand through my poor english) Cool to read and easy to scan!!!

Well of course, it is more expensive than the common thermal binding... rarely used in doujinshi... just make a memo if you were a doujin painter...
DrizztVII said:
Muteki Kanban Musume Fireattack
………………
MirrorMagpie said:
Actually, stapled are the easiest. Just pull out the staples. Also, unlike any other method, you can re-bind stapled doujinshi.
I mean... REALLY? I'd never thought on that, heh!

midzki said:
Sounds tough...

DrizztVII said:
Well of course, it is more expensive than the common thermal binding... rarely used in doujinshi... just make a memo if you were a doujin painter...
Haaaa, I shall remember that. orz fail

My friend gave me her Naruto manga so I'll try debinding it. ORZZZZ
I classified 4 types of binding, and using different method:

1) stapled
2) glued single papers into a cover directry (magazine/doujin)
3) glued several 8 folios (16 pages makes 1 group) into a cover (softcover artbook)
4) glued papers into a cover with a fabric (hardcover artbook)