Close
Sorting images into landscape and portrait?
I'm in the process of sorting all my images into landscape and portrait for the sake of digital photoframes.

I found an applescript script that works perfectly, but balks when faced with 15,000 images at once. It works in 1,000 lot batches, however the only Mac I have access to is a work colleagues Mac Book Pro, and it's a hassle trying to do it this way.

Anybody know of a Win32 friendly method of being able to sort images by dimention ratio?
windows explorer ?!
jeddelagged said:
I'm in the process of sorting all my images into landscape and portrait for the sake of digital photoframes.

I found an applescript script that works perfectly, but balks when faced with 15,000 images at once. It works in 1,000 lot batches, however the only Mac I have access to is a work colleagues Mac Book Pro, and it's a hassle trying to do it this way.

Anybody know of a Win32 friendly method of being able to sort images by dimention ratio?
You can try to run it from terminal and one by one, so it won't be limited by the number like:

cd /path/to/your/pics/folder/ && find . -name '*' | xargs osascript applescriptname
not sure if I wrote that line correctly but I think it should work
digital photoframes
Dare I ask why?
MDGeist said:
windows explorer ?!
How? You can add the dimentions column, but then you're sorting by width size. Doesn't help against differing image sizes.

Radioactive said:
Dare I ask why?
That seems like an odd question, if you're posting here then you should know why. Of course, this isn't limited to the shitty 400x200 frames out at the moment, any widescreen rotatable LCD works just as well, like my 32" TV, or my Tablet PC. Hell, even my phone if I get bored.
That seems like an odd question, if you're posting here then you should know why. Of course, this isn't limited to the shitty 400x200 frames out at the moment, any widescreen rotatable LCD works just as well, like my 32" TV, or my Tablet PC. Hell, even my phone if I get bored.
When you said digital photoframes I thought you were referring just to the nasty frames. I was just curious why you would want to display moe images on them...
Radioactive said:
When you said digital photoframes I thought you were referring just to the nasty frames. I was just curious why you would want to display moe images on them...
... even if it was, why would that be a bad thing? I don't download images to have them sit on my hdd and not get seen, lol.
jeddelagged said:
How? You can add the dimentions column, but then you're sorting by width size. Doesn't help against differing image sizes.
Whats the difference of image sizes and dimensions?

Winexplorer can show the resolution of an image like 1600x1200 or any other.
And will sort from that, using width first... Thats what you wanted, no ?
Er, he said he wanted to "sort images into landscape and portrait". Sorting by width won't help that at all. Explorer is also worthless at it: it takes forever to run, when it should be nearly instantaneous to read that info from an image, it locks up the window hard while it does it, and then it'll randomly start over from scratch.

I'd write a script to print the aspect ratio of the image (as a floating-point value, eg. 1.333 for 4:3 images), and then sort it.
jeddelagged: I have a python script that calculates aspect ratio if you like.
Thanks guys, but we managed to get through them all with the applescript script. Now to sort them all into work safe, ecchi and hentai!
You can use ACDSee for sorting with image dimensions, it will order whatever files you have in it in correct oder if you order it by that.

Only one dillema thought, I cannot really recomend the app, it's one of the onyl good image viewers who handle image viewing inside archives ( for at least some more week before my bloody Image viewer is done also support Unicode beeat that ACDSee). Anyhow back to why I cannot recomend it, it's become bloatware and crash for almost nothing nowdays.

If you pick it up, I recomend most vers who's older then 5 or 6 years. ACDSee 2 is like good, ignore anything above 4.
Actually, I've been using ACDSee 2.45 for years =]

But yeah, it won't read directory names in unicode =[
I use 5. It's OK, but I want to switch to using danbooru. Main sticking point is PicLens isn't good enough (and for some reason is completely proprietary, so I can't fix it), and I havn't felt like rewriting it...

Speaking of which, "order:landscape"/"order:portrait" might be sort of useful in danbooru.
By the way, order:landscape and order:portrait work now.
petopeto said:
By the way, order:landscape and order:portrait work now.
Sorry to gravedig, but I just noticed this, and checked it out. Nice work, thanks!