Close
Image cropping
A lot of books have a white border around images. Whether to crop this is subjective. I generally do.

- A monitor's white is different from paper white: on a monitor it's a bright, emittive white light, where paper is just reflective. Having a glowing white border around an image dulls the brightness of the image itself, which doesn't happen on paper. This is particularly bad on images with subdued color.
- A monitor has limited resolution; eliminating the border means you're using more of your monitor's resolution to actually view the image, which means a clearer image.
- I want to view images using my whole monitor. I often rotate my monitor to portrait to view images.

Overall, images viewed on a monitor without a white border have brighter, clearer colors to the eye.

Why is the border there in the first place? One reason is to keep images from falling into the binidng, where you can't see it. It also avoids having to crop out part of the image during printing due to bleed.

When there's text in the border, it's a judgement call. Personally, I find the difference after cropping to be so huge that I'm willing to crop out text. (It doesn't hurt that I can't read the text anyway, of course.)

Before cropping, you usually want to make sure the image is straightened. Otherwise, the edge of the border will be at an angle, and you'll end up cropping off part of the image. In PS, use the Ruler tool to select the edge--zoom in to get it precise--then use Image -> Image Rotation -> Arbitrary to align.

I find the Photoshop crop tool useless for precise cropping. Instead, use the Marquee tool. Press ^A to select the whole image, zoom in on the top-left, and drag the corner of the selection. Use the navigator to scroll right and down the selection (hold shift to lock scrolling to the axis) to make sure it's where it should be, and use the arrow keys to nudge the selection precisely. Select Image->Crop to crop to the selection. Repeat for the bottom-right corner.

Keyboard image navigation helps here, too: page up, page down, control-pgup and control-pgdn.
Why do you think crop tool is useless? Since I'm alwasy using it. It can change selected range by dragging the edge -- that's what I think is convenient than the marquee tool. Though there is an annoying edge adsorption, you can zoom in to avoid it.

The cropping steps of me is:
1. zoom out the image then you can view all of it;
2. Use crop tool to select it all; (It won't overlop the range of image, so just do select randomly)
3. Zoom in on every corner and drag the edge to change the range of choice (DO NOT drag the selected area itself, it will just move it instead of change its shape..)
4. Click "crop"
fireattack said:
Why do you think crop tool is useless?
At least in my copy of PS, there's a bug with the crop tool which always crops the image to 1x1. I end up using ctrl+click layer, Image->Crop sometimes, but usually the crop tool in Gimp.
a sequential rotate & crop tool E.C. (Japanese language only)

click 2 points analyze vertical/horizontal line semi-automatically, press the space to rotate following it, then click & drag to make a crop frame, press the space to crop, press the space again to save & open a next image. (it won't allow accurate cropping by 1px though)
Aurelia said:
At least in my copy of PS, there's a bug with the crop tool which always crops the image to 1x1. I end up using ctrl+click layer, Image->Crop sometimes, but usually the crop tool in Gimp.
o_O I never met that situation.
Adobe should learn from Gimp's navigation window & the crop tool. Photoshop sucks at rotate&crop in any points
The crop tool size can't be adjusted precisely with the keyboard, so it's useless for accurate cropping--you have to carefully drag the edge of the outline.

Adjusting the position is broken. It doesn't snap to pixels (like marquee does), and moving it with the keyboard will move fractions of a pixel at a time. (It doesn't actually crop sub-pixel--which would just blur the entire image anyway--so this doesn't make sense.)

If you undo the crop to adjust it, it doesn't give you the crop selection back--you have to select the crop region all over again. When you use marquee it gives you the selection back.

If you press escape using the crop tool, it unceremoniously clears the crop region and you have to start over. That's a huge pain--I'm always hitting escape to clear myself out of the menu and other unwanted focuses. It should behave like the marquee tool: ^D to deselect.

You can't undo crop selection changes with ^Z, like you can undo just about everything else.

The marquee tool doesn't have these problems. (Still can't adjust the size, but that's why I crop in two steps.)
I do all of mine manually with the 1600x zoom in PS. And yes adobe's cropping really is crappy.

My computer is quite slow so program swapping isn't exactly the best option.
Peto, and what to do on cases like these? post #87858
Debbie said:
Peto, and what to do on cases like these? post #87858
You can still crop it. The elaborate borders aren't that showy. I'd still crop the image.
I'd prefer not to crop the images, information is lost. And IQDB doesn't seems to have much problem to detect images with regular borders.
Descreening loses information too. Editing is always lossy; the judgement call is whether the gains outweigh the loss.

Books with varying borders can go either way. Since they're not a large block of white it's much less of a color problem. If an entire book uses the same border I'm more inclined to remove it than if each page has a unique border.

(That particular pool has serious alignment issues, with the edges at a very obvious angle; whether or not you're cropping, pages should still be straightened.)

It'd be nice if it was possible to define image boundaries in metadata, so I could select which part of an image I want to see, without having to permanently crop.
petopeto said:
The crop tool..
Hmm, I've noticed some of these problems, such as ^z's (but you can use ctrl+alt+z instead).

And about crop or not, I prefer not. Just personal taste. Only if I need the art ifself, like make a wallpaper, I will crop it individually of course. Otherwise, I think I'm not appreciate the illustrations merely but the artbooks. :)
You can't undo changes to the crop tool itself. After I drag a marquee, I can hit ^Z to undo the drag.
Honestly, if it's just a blank border, then i'm for cropping it away, there's no detail nor image data there. But if there's text, as in magazine scan or author's comment, then i'll preserve for the sake of "untouched" scans. As for cropping, using Xnview here, it's p.accurate with keyboard adjustment, similar to the PS's marquee cropping way.
Keep the cropped images as parent posts and non-cropped as child posts.
That'll just make a mess of thousands of duplicates.