Close
How did you put together fabric scans?
I noticed people uploaded complete compositions of previously uploaded as separate pieces. I have examined them and I found they are extremely hard to put together.
because fabric is elastic and when they are scanned they don't just have a simple offset as if you scan a big poster, there are also rotations and complex curve distortions.
maybe I was just being lazy but I could not put together a complete drawing without using photoshop's automation functions, they just never match up perfectly when I try to do them manually.
but photoshop has limitations for examples in areas where automatic matching is difficult like the legs where only about two features are matchable and requires human to see how should those lines connect. automation fails at these places.
it's no big problem when you only have to manually connect a foot, but some scans has like 4 or more pieces under the waist level that cannot be automatically put together. which could also be caused by over complex curve distortions.
It has been discused in forum #10447 and forum #2577, apparently it is kinda tricky, I'll try later.
I fix all the remaining stuff that PS or MSICE fail at manually (゚∀゚).
Takes time but i don't know of other ways.
fonz is way better than I am, but here's what I did on post #158671.

I put all five of the left side pieces in the same PSD first, then lined them all up. I think it's easiest if you start at the top then put the next layer underneath it, and so on. Just use the transform tool a ton. Then I used the auto-blend feature to make all the colors match. Theoretically it's possible to use layer masks and levels/curves to match colors--I've tried it on a couple posters but I'm still not very good at it. I merged the five layers after that.

For the right side, I put the top right piece below the left half, transformed and moved it until the matched somewhat then did the auto-blend and merging again. Repeated this until I reached the bottom. I cut the bottom right corner piece in half vertically because the two boots weren't matching well (I can see the "shadows" don't line up there too well...oops).

All of the lines probably don't match up completely, so I used the clone stamp and transformed little patches to prod lines back together. You'll also probably have a bunch of blank space (like post #149541), so you can rotate the image a little, crop then repaint the "bedsheet" with clone stamp or whatever. Repainting fingers is beyond my ability, so it's just blank there on her right hand. I think that really was the right edge of the dakimakura but I couldn't figure out a way to warp the whole thing to be rectangular again without severely messing up the proportions.

Anyways, now you can finally do the filtering (2 passes greyc, 1 pass with Noiseware, some layer masks for blush details and stuff here) and dust clean up, and ironing out the little folds if you're more patient and skilled than I am.

Total time: 3h.
Share said:
Since the filtering result is not very good.. I prefer just leave it there.
Hmm, maybe just do the filtering before all the stitching so the fabric texture isn't super warped. That seems to avoid those weird horizontal lines.
I can't stitch images ;_;
wao 3 hours... I expect to use about 15 minutes....
if the automated function works then great it will most likely produce a perfect stitch with no visible lines what so ever. if not I just give up.....
I use PanaVue Image Assembler to do the original stitch, then I fix up mismatches manually (luckily these are usually rare).