Close
Colour Bar
Has anyone thought about expanding the functionality of the colour bar? I'm not sure what the criteria is for Black/Grey but it might be useful to change it to traffic-stop system? (Red/Yellow/Green)

Could it even flag wallpaper-sized scans?
Color Bar
I'm not sure. I don't like the idea of implicitly rating posts by resolution; resolution is part of quality, and some posts are obviously below what moe wants, but I'm not sure I like the notion of making middle-resolution (eg. 1400x1000ish) stuff second-class by branding it with a "yellow warning light", which is what it feels like to me. There's a lot of great stuff in that range, and that would discourage posting it. I don't get that feeling from the subtle gray bar, at least, but red/yellow/green I think I would: "bad, watch out, good".

I like that there's no hard and fast lower limit on resolution. I need to like a picture more to post it at 1400x1000 than at 300DPI (or equivalently, an iffy scan at 300DPI), but at least I can use my discretion.

Of course (tangentally), there is some lower limit, but it's fuzzy; 640x480 is clearly under it, and 1400x1000 is clearly over it (for a good scan), but between that I think the current system works fine: encourage posters to use their discretion, and override when it's just too far astray, which doesn't seem to happen too often.

Could it even flag wallpaper-sized scans?
Seems sort of arbitrary; we have the tag...
We need to persuade people to only upload the best scans, and using the colour bar is a subtle way to 'remind' uploaders about what we really are all about.

Does the bar work via DPI or resolution?

The Wallpaper flag was just a thought. Forget it.
IIRC, it's for under 2000x2000. There's no way of knowing the DPI. (Many formats do have a DPI field internally, but it's rarely set correctly.)

I don't think it's helpful to persuade people to upload less; it's not like the board is being flooded with terrible images. It seems better for people to be a little too liberal than too conservative--if a post is poor, just delete it and they should get the message.
So this all cuz of people that still have 56k?

I mean.. isn't this year 2008?

Just look at how the cellphones evolved in such a "short" notice. And don't include them "brick-phones" ^^

The size we see should be enough, although I don't pay attention to it at all.
if a post is poor, just delete it and they should get the message.
Fine. It is just nice to discuss these kind of things.