Close
Missing images - 404s
Anyone have any idea why there are so many image IDs on this site which have been skipped? e.g. post #299531 gives a 404, but we're well past 299531 now, and deleted images still have pages - they just don't have images on them anymore and have a note saying why they were deleted. So, as far as I can tell, such image numbers were just skipped for some reason. Is there a good reason for it, or is it just a bug in the site's software? There are quite a few of them, including posts such as post #1 and post #2 (making post #3 the first on the site), and new numbers seem to be skipped rather frequently.
Kalessin said:
Anyone have any idea why there are so many image IDs on this site which have been skipped? e.g. post #299531 gives a 404, but we're well past 299531 now, and deleted images still have pages - they just don't have images on them anymore and have a note saying why they were deleted. So, as far as I can tell, such image numbers were just skipped for some reason. Is there a good reason for it, or is it just a bug in the site's software? There are quite a few of them, including posts such as post #1 and post #2 (making post #3 the first on the site), and new numbers seem to be skipped rather frequently.
Because there is a feature called "double delete".
So, how does that work? Is it for when mods really don't like an image and want to remove any evidence that it might have ever been on the site? I've never run into the term "double delete" anywhere here before, and it doesn't seem to be in the site's documentation.

I suppose that it's not all that important, but it has been bugging me for a while that so many IDs seem to be skipped, and I couldn't figure out why.
There are times where an image needs to be removed permanently, yes, and it's as simple as that. However, it's usually not common and the post ids aren't always listed in the index in sequential order. Images can be uploaded and held from the index and released at a later date and will appear at the beginning of the index. So seeing a jump from 300000 to 300050 might simply mean that images have been uploaded and withheld from being displayed.
gibwar said:
However, it's usually not common and the post ids aren't always listed in the index in sequential order. Images can be uploaded and held from the index and released at a later date and will appear at the beginning of the index. So seeing a jump from 300000 to 300050 might simply mean that images have been uploaded and withheld from being displayed.
That part I get. I wasn't asking about the index. I was asking about the images that are literally missing and give 404s, since that seemed like a bug of some kind given that I'd never heard of double deletion.
It's a feature, not a bug. It means we hard delete the image instead of soft delete. Soft delete keep some info about the image, for example, who posted it, taggings, and comments. Hard delete removed the entry completely.
Well, now I'm informed. Thanks.
Kalessin said:
Well, now I'm informed. Thanks.
Actually, this feature is more used by uploaders, not mods. At least myself rarely double delete others' posts. On the othe hand, IIRC lots of uploaders would double delete their posts if they later found their uploads are dupe/unexpected/etc.
fireattack said:
Actually, this feature is more used by uploaders, not mods. At least myself rarely double delete others' posts. On the othe hand, IIRC lots of uploaders would double delete their posts if they later found their uploads are dupe/unexpected/etc.
That probably explains why it happens as frequently as it does.