Close
vonMooky said:
Scale factors depend on the used model.
CUGAN can do x2, x3 and x4. Snowshell is a bit buggy in that regard in not allowing x3.
ESRGAN can only do x4.
Caffe can do any scale.

Just go into the folders with the models - the file names are pretty self-explanatory.
Pretty sure extension-gui uses more traditional techniques to get to a specified resolution (like if you say 2.5, it could be doing x4, then shrinking back to 2.5).

Also, caffe looks much better to me, but that's because I'm pixel-peeping. But like I said before, caffe>cugan is probably best.
Yeah, it sounds like there's probably a good reason why most waifu2x apps only allow you to upscale by whole numbers. I think I'll stick to doing that then downscaling, I'm not seeing any artificing or anything doing this.

Oh, and on the topic of caffe vs cugan, I've just found that cugan is only really good for very low resolution source images, since it avoids the blurry and rainbowing on outlines. When used on high resolution images, it seems to make the lines a bit blurry, caffe seems to be better in this case.

A bit more experimenting! I was wondering if the A.I could add extra detail to rougher and more "unfinished" art to give it the more "finished" appearance it might have if the artist had more time to put into it (no offence to the artist!). I figured it should be possible, since the img2img mode makes the A.I use an existing image as its starting point and it expands on that, instead of using random noise to generate the image like in txt2img mode.

So I found what I think is a good test image over at https://yande.re/post/show/765004, (I mean the hair is mostly just a flat gradient and the shading on the skin is blocks of colors!) and did a quick onceover with the A.I to see what kinds results I'd get. I'd say it did the job nicely! Here's the results along with the original image for comparison:

https://pixhost.to/gallery/VAx4t

While it's a matter of opinion if this is "better" than the original art, it did indeed add the sorta extra detail that would have required more time from the artist. I'd also need to tinker with it a bit further to fix things like the changed facial expressions, the fence in the background being too short and the building in the background missing. I could also edit it further to make their eye color and hair color match the original image too.