Close
So I'm switching to Linux (ubuntu distro)
Okay I tried Windows 7 (been using since some early beta around dec 2008~), sure it was 10x better than Vista but it wasn't my thing at all. I'm to poor atm to switch to a mac, but linux has always been great, both by support and the community.

Over the next few hours I'll be moving over, installing and converting drives (I think). But the one thing that hit me was.. how's the support for photoshopping/editing and audio? (foobar!) Anyways, I'll keep myself updated via my laptop/iphone. I hope for best if anyone could fill me out :)
gimp for image work
CinePaint for video editing... <--nevermind, thats frame by frame..

audio no clue..
I'm wayyyy tooo lazy to learn the Linux OS :)

I stick with my old XP ^^
I just installed ubuntu in a VM for testing. It's pretty nifty :) I have to agree that win7 isn't my thing either though, it's pretty and definitely better than vista, but it still doesn't beat XP. Linux has bells and whistles that make win7 look outdated already and they don't take nearly 1GB of ram to work.
So here I am o/. Seems like this was easier than expected. Just googling for some questions gave me enough answers rather having to spend time on forum boards.

Currently I'm in the process of learning more about GIMP. Although I'm not familiar with at least 99% of all tools and filters, it seems to be going pretty well :)
Feito said:
Okay I tried Windows 7 (been using since some early beta around dec 2008~), sure it was 10x better than Vista but it wasn't my thing at all. I'm to poor atm to switch to a mac, but linux has always been great, both by support and the community.
Since the topic was brought up, I've been thinking about the same thing myself. After reading about the DRM built into Windows 7, I'm never going to upgrade (the OS) to anything higher than Vista (just for my media pc since I've got a nifty remote for it).

For those that have/are using linux, what's the gaming support like? Arguably the only reason I've stuck with windows is that 95% of any games are built to run on pc's.

Though I use my pc for much more (particularly large number crunching apps like Mathematica or Maestro) I'm familiar enough with unix having background in Solaris and BSD machines that I can figure things out. My main concern is getting my apps to run; especially since I use x64 OS builds of which the driver support is barely starting to reach an acceptable level.
I'm not sure about that. But I am on my way installing win7 on Sun Virtual Box untill I have learned more about VM etc. Can't live without foobar and some other apps and wine didn't really help me...

I'll try some games and see how it turn out.
"What's the gaming support like" and "How's the support for photoshopping" are the wrong questions, you should ask yourself "Why am I switching to Linux if I am a gamer or photoshopper" It is almost cliché-like to see Windows haters abandon ship and then get lost in Linux land.

If you are a gamer you use Windows because the majority of games are developed for it and require its technologies to work. Replacing it with Linux and then using bad hackjobs and buggy emulations of Windows technologies is both masochistic and hypocritical. If you are a hobbyist the GIMP is fine, as a graphics professional you will need to abide to industry standards and there it just doesn't do the cut.

I have used both Windows, OS X and Linux - they are all good operating systems which work perfectly if you use them for the right job. Any operating system's apparent superiority over another is imagination only.
Foobar works now with wine \o/. Screw virtualbox!

http://yfrog.com/29screenshotnp'

Why the hate all of sudden? :o

Out of all media (read "audio") players out there foobar2000 can't be compared with any open/closed source software out there. I did my research for a little over 3 years, and I found nada. I'm also in need of gapless playback, and what kind of media player has that kind of support? Out of those found which are "supposed" to have still has a 0.5s~ skip. I never really used photoshop except in high school? (I think I translated that one right) I found paint.net out of curiosity and It did/could accomplish what I wanted. Currently Linux does what I can do on Windows as well. It less choppy and does the job rather well.

All I have to fix is my iphone and perhaps one of these mmorpgs I often tend to dive into.
Your audio format also needs to be gapless for gapless audio to work. mp3 isn't gapless so it kinda sucks for mixes for example.

Also, nice choice of wallpaper... though I prefer my version because I switched Ritsu out for Yui ;p
I was on linux for a long time, recently switched to win7 because i couldn't bear the slow speed of Photoshop running on Virtualbox, 10-20 min to process an image, and i couldn't use the openGL support due to virtualization. ( yes, i can't use anything else than photoshop :p ). And for games linux kinda sucks..i had a win partition just in case. Also if you wanna try an audio player try mpd+Sonata. Even though i used (and still use) foobar on windows, that was more compact and fast in the end.
Dual-booting Windows & Linux is the right way to do this. You've got Windows for your gaming, and photoshop, and Linux for everything else.

I recommend using Kubuntu for high-end PCs, and use Amarok for your audio.

GIMP & the G'MIC plugin for all your editing needs.
Dual-booting is a massive pain in the ass. Pick an OS and stick to it.
petopeto said:
Dual-booting is a massive pain in the ass.
Yeah, that happened to me, haven't used ubuntu since the partition almost kills the hard drive.
blooregardo said:
since the partition almost kills the hard drive.
Please explain?
I have a couple of questions to you high tech freaks (no offence ^^) What is the difference of all u/xu/kubunto distros? I hear some are made for low/end PCs, and something about desktop environment? I need music to survive when I'm doing something creative on a PC.

I've already wasted/lost 2 usb keys, and I'm ibn my current agony of finding the 3rd one... asking for a 4th one would would make me a slave for 2 weeks if you know what I mean >.>
You can boot the media as 'live CDs' so you can get a flavour of the full operating system.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu

Why did you mention USB keys?
I would recommend to dual boot windows if you are gamer, thought quite a few games work on linux too, I play WoW with no problems.

Ubuntu or Kubuntu is a matter of tase if you like gnome go for unbuntu if you like kde go for kubuntu. Ubuntu get slightly more support from community, I think.

New Amarok is a pile of crap even thought it works on both distros, if you going to use it, go for 1.4 or use exile or rhythmbox.

Gimp with GREYCstoration are good enough for editing scans for moe-imouto.
Inkscape is not so bad vectoring soft too.

And for editing audio, command line tools like "lame" and "flac" works for converting music. If you want to work with midi and/or have keyboard you will need jack qsynth and muse or rosegarden.

Here is screen of mine setup http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8104/screenshotmzk.jpg

P.S. I can use my apple wireless keyboard with linux but not with windows q.q
i had both ubuntu and winxp on my computer. i tried 2 or 3 times to switch to ubuntu but there was no way.

it works really slowly with images, Picasa and Irfanview ran very slowly. GIMP sucks compared to PhotoShop, i gave it 2 or 3 tries before giving up, no way i could do anything with it.

therefore i did not try further to learn how to make other stuff work, like games and videos. i only used ubuntu to certain things like... deleting viruses from usb disks.

in order to use linux well, you must KNOW about it and you mustn't be interested in games/images. else it'll give you headaches.
I am yet to find something I can't do in gimp when editing images for moe-imouto, but I can see how it can be problematic for those who create own art or make living by editing images.
Hope people aren't mad at me, but I switched back to Windows 7 for the time being. I'm gonna use my really really spare time learning more about linux. Because all the "insert password popups" got on my nerves -.-
You can try out Linux without having to install it.
Use a live cd. Or do what I do and install in a VM. Depends what you want to do with it really (obviously graphics and so on are emulated, and it's pretty slow in a virtual machine, not that this matters to me in the slightest, but if you want to play around with it as it should be then the live cd is the better choice).
Feito said:
Hope people aren't mad at me, but I switched back to Windows 7 for the time being. I'm gonna use my really really spare time learning more about linux. Because all the "insert password popups" got on my nerves -.-
If you're referring to the pop-ups on Windows, those can be disabled by turning UAC off in the user settings portion of the control panel.

Many people I know have had positive comments about Windows 7, except for the DRM control that has been builting. In Vista via Windows Defender the OS had the capacity to block you from using (illegally obtained) programs, Windows 7 takes this a bit further and has ports in the firewall that are permanently open to allow this to be done remotely.

If you're using 100% legit programs or not isn't really the point, but that DRM creates a negative impact on hardware performance since it is set to constantly poll certain devices. In an article on Vista I recently read that the cpu polls the board every 20ms to see if something is connected (even if there is one), besides the obvious use of DRM, it is starting to create a higher and higher resource drain.
Err that was about Ubuntu, I always turn off UAC >.<
Feito said:

Over the next few hours I'll be moving over, installing and converting drives (I think). But the one thing that hit me was.. how's the support for photoshopping/editing and audio? (foobar!) Anyways, I'll keep myself updated via my laptop/iphone. I hope for best if anyone could fill me out :)
Get Gentoo.
reiserFS said:
Get Gentoo.
But does it support MurderFS?
mmx3 said:
But does it support MurderFS?
Don't provoke him.