Close
Terabyte [TB] External Drive Recommendation
Everyone...I'm having a depressing day and in need of advice.

Today my Western Digital Terabyte [TB] External Drive is malfunctioning. It's been a good long time since I had it and it's been helping me in my growing storage of pictures, music, documents, videos, games, projects and such. But now when the drive isn't active, everything goes missing.....and the drive's indicator light goes crazy. As of now I can restart it and everything is there...but I experienced this problem 3 times today. It had problems in the past but not like today.

This is not a good sign. So I started to transfer my things to both my computer and my laptop. They will be there until I get a new TB External Drive. I need to hurry though. My PC can't handle these things forever since I'm nearly out of memory and the PC does need additional memory when it comes to updates and such.

I want to know if any of you have purchased external drives and if you have, what brand do you recommend?
If any of you don't use TB Drives, what do you use to store all of your stuff? I just need something to carry all of my stuff instead of my PC and Laptop's memory when July 1st arrives (Money arrives for me to start buying).

One more thing you should know...the reason I started using TB Drives is because I had lost all of everything I had in an old PC long ago and I was told to always backup your stuff on something other than your PC in case my PC have memory problems or whatever.

Well that's my story. I'll check back here when awake. Go ahead with your advice if any.
Sorry to hear that. I rarely use my 320GB external (backup, shut off) so that may account for its longevity. The brand is AcomData. I only got it because of the rebates. Have you considered getting a second internal HD for multimedia and a smaller external for important backup stuff? If you're willing to part with some of your cash you can do online backups (I saw an ad for mozy, but don't know if they're any good). Good luck getting everything working.
I don't have a Tb external, but i have a 500GB Maxtor One Touch. Most likely i'm abusing it so it malfunction sometimes, but for me the maxtor sometimes has issues reading the external drive such as locating it on the USB and rarely it sometimes read the drive as empty, but other than those i've had not too much issues with it.
Try something like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/a7ea/

I saw something like this one time while visiting a friend of mine. Dock was mostly what came to my mind, and google was right ^^

googling for sata dock images gives a lot of results.
wd green eads 1t ~ 65 euro
samsung f2 ecogreen 1t ~60 euro

buy either of these + esata case of your choice (like easynova pro, icy whatever)

i dont like docking stations, as they are not as mobile as real cases, but thats up to you

as for failures, all drives can fail, wd gives 3 years, so go into RMA and get a new one

Hdd space is so fucking cheap nowadays, its funny ppl so see xxx gb of data, when you can buy 1 gb with less than 6 cents!

also, since theres no usb3 yet, i prefer esata for connectivity, speed is same as if its in your pc so ~60-100 mb/s on a f2 eco
I'll point you toward forum #2605 - I ended up buying a Buffalo Linkstation for my backups.

Don't be fooled into buying eSata. Stick with USB, or network enabled.
or roll your own with openfiler
Well now let's see:

chrislee is right in that.

aoie_emesai had a similar experience like me of a Maxtor One Touch. I had that one early and that problem arose...but it seems yours is working...but I sent mine back and got a replacement...a Seagate TB Drive which they told me they and Maxtor are one and the same in one company. This drive is currently holding movies as of now. Still need something for the others.

Feito's link is interesting.

MDGeist gives me the scary truth about failures and after the PCs & that Maxtor Drive I went through, I REALLY wish there would be one that wouldn't fail...but this is reality and machines will fail sometime.....although my PS2 & Gamecube manage to stay alive without any problems...grrrrr.

admin2 says openfiler which I am looking into at the moment and Radioactive gives me a link with lots of suggestions. Guess I didn't have to create this topic if Radioactive already had one like this.

Well I have $200 USD coming ($450 depending on Comcast, ComED & Dell) and a little extra on the way so I'll definitely keep these advice on hand.

Thanks for the advice above everyone. As for now I go look at what's going on in Radioactive's forum #2605.
Radioactive said:
Don't be fooled into buying eSata.
Reason ?

Works fine for me.
Every esata case has usb, too, so its not like either esata or usb. Its either usb only or usb+esata.
Price wise no difference either.

If it works its just wonderful, as transfering stuff with 60-80mb/s feels just awesome if you transfered with 20-30 before
MDGeist said:
Reason ?
Dying connection type.
I like iSCSI...been using them for work lately
admin2 said:
I like iSCSI...been using them for work lately
I don't think they'll be cheap enough for home use?
Radioactive said:
Dying connection type.
once usb3 comes out, everything will be a dying connection type. even usb2 ;) (for storage devices anyways)

also, just because theres usb3 out there, doesnt mean i must cripple myself now with only using usb2

firewire800 is an even more dead connection type, too

plus i bet there will be esata3 (for the 600mb/s standard), so i dont get your point.

also, i doubt usb3 will work with 3,5hdds without extra power, so no advantage there

for 2,5 it should be (way) enough though, but pricewise its twice as expensive as 3,5 so meh
MDGeist said:
doesnt mean i must cripple myself now with only using usb2
I'm just pointing out it is a dying standard. If it works for you, great, but eSata isn't long for the world.
Radioactive said:
I don't think they'll be cheap enough for home use?
You can do it for free with software..no need for hardware iSCSI adaptors...you can get one from microsoft and then connect to a openfiler system that has iSCSI set to export the drives..