Close
Photoshop Vectoring Techniques
Hey everyone, I've just started using Photoshop CS4 to vector and I feel like I need some tips. I want to produce something along these lines:

http://moe.imouto.org/post/show/26910/c-c-code_geass-vector

but my skills are lacking. I'm following techniques described in a video I found using a stroke-path and pen, but my lines are always bumpy and never really nice and smooth like a hand-drawn line. It's possible that I'm using too many anchor points, but I wouldn't know really. This is really my first time using PS at all so I'm not familiar with a lot of the effects and tools outside of what is described in the video.

I've poked around the forums a bit for some tips, but most of what I found here was relating to other programs, and what I found through Google didn't seem to be much help. Thanks all for any tips or advice :)
you dont use photoshop to vector FFS!

use illustrator, inkscape or the like!!
<-- uses PS for vectors :)

Illustrator is just ezier
This is an example of what I've been able to do so far:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Zerowind117/GW3.png

It's a very basic version of the famous "Great Wave," but you can see that most of my lines aren't super smooth. This is a downscaled version (as the original was nearly 70MB) so it is low quality, but you get the idea. I wasn't trying to go for super-precise, just did this to get accustomed to the program really.
I find Inkscape to be quite easy, though you may want to wait until version 0.48 comes out as 0.47 has quite a few bugs in 64-bit installations. Photoshop can only produce raster images (thus the really huge file sizes). If you want the effects/features of Photoshop, I would recommend vectoring the image in AI or Inkscape first, export to .png, then add whatever you like in Photoshop.
One neat thing about paths in PS is you can convert selections to paths. So if you vectoring something, you could select the area you're interested in(color-range,etc.) and then convert selection to a path. Still need to refine the created path, but could save you time
I used Inkscape and YouTube videos.

>>Video 1: lines<< The img they are making is post #101584

And my first full vector: post #139482

It may be a trace, but it is good to practice with a guide image to give you the big picture as it were.

You have to reboot the Inkscape 0.47x64 every 30-40 mins of use typically, auto-save can help minimise loss.
gohanrice said:
I find Inkscape to be quite easy, though you may want to wait until version 0.48 comes out as 0.47 has quite a few bugs in 64-bit installations. Photoshop can only produce raster images (thus the really huge file sizes). If you want the effects/features of Photoshop, I would recommend vectoring the image in AI or Inkscape first, export to .png, then add whatever you like in Photoshop.
Would there be many problems for a 32-bit? I have Vista 32-bit if that makes a difference. I can't tell if there's only one version haha
Technically, no since it is not available in a x64 version, but then sometimes it is just the different OS that makes a difference