Close
parenting posts
There's been an on-and-off practice of parenting posts based on content to remove them from the index. (We've had a few discussions about this, most recently post #20789.) To summarize, this has problems: it doesn't let people who do want to see these posts do so (otherwise what's the point of posting them?); which posts it's done to is rather arbitrary; and blacklists can do this already.

So just a last call for input on this: let's stop parenting these posts and just tag them appropriately.
Just to clarify: are you saying people are making posts children because they don't like the content and want to "hide" them, not because they have a legit reason (slight variation, next page in a series, dupe, etc)?

If so, that's straight up post vandalism and grounds for a temp ban.
Radioactive had advocated P/C'ing related posts based on content; we're just agreeing to let blacklists do that now.

Series are a related issue. Parenting them has the same problems: so few people see a child post that you may as well not post it. Smaller batches I think are better off just pooled and not P/C'd.

Larger batches are a harder question. I don't like P/C for them for the same reason, but it's not good for a large batch in the index to drown out other posts. If there are 16 posts on a page and 14 are a batch, it's harder to find the other 2 while browsing casually. I want to skim the 14, but I may also want to give the other 2 higher priority.

I might experiment with indicating batch posts in the index, maybe based on whether a post is pooled, or post frequency around the time of posting...
P/C has too many issues, so I'm advocating blacklists until an alternative solution is thought up.

I might experiment with indicating batch posts in the index, maybe based on whether a post is pooled, or post frequency around the time of posting...
An pooled post in the index should receive a coloured border?

Be interesting to see if you can think up a way to catch batch posts without false positives.
Parents based on content is not a good idea, in my opinion. That's not what P/C is intended for. Use a pool for that.

But parenting still has uses, particularly for fixme/fixed.
I find the borders ugly. Maybe the shade in the resolution bar can do this, leaving the icon to represent resolution.

An approach would be to use the number of posts in the hour surrounding the post. The shade could vary based on this number, for example.

This has the advantage of being generic; posters don't have to do anything new. Not all batch posts are appropriate to pool (those MT images that are often otherwise unrelated); not all pool posts are batches (single posts that are added to older pools); there's no need to fight to get people to change their habits to support any new mechanism.

If someone posts a 50-post batch, and then immediately posts a separate image, it's indistinguishable from the batch. That's fine; the goal is to be able to see other individual posts among someone who's posting a lot, not to try to tell the exact boundaries of a batch.

A very different approach: on thumb mouseover, highlight (in whatever way) all posts on the index page by the same poster. Works for all posts (not just "batches"), simpler to implement, but it might be annoying. I might give this an experimental try, just since this is a 10-minute Javascript change instead of a few hours of Ruby (and I'm not sure the rare large batch posts are enough for me to invest that much time in this right now).
I find the borders ugly. Maybe the shade in the resolution bar can do this, leaving the icon to represent resolution.
Doesn't bother me either way. The resolution bar is mostly wasted space.

Another way to track uploads is a list of users who have uploaded in the last x hours/days & how may posts they have uploaded. Click the link to take you to the 'user:' search page.

I would find the thumb mouseover just irritating.
I'm not sure what a list of users would do. I want to be able to distinguish individual batch posts in the index from batch posts that it's surrounded from, so there's less reason to parent larger batches.

Here's a GM script that implements user highlighting; mouseover the DDL bar and it'll highlight other posts by the same user. It seems both useful and a bit annoying. I'm not sure how to get the useful without the annoying. It'll stay a GM script for now. I'll use it for a week or two and see how much I really use it. The annoying is reduced by keeping the highlight subtle and by only watching mouseover on the DDL bar and not the thumb itself.

http://pastebin.com/f268b924
I'm not sure what a list of users would do.
A very quick, and simple, way to be able to filter a batch upload on a per user basis. You can see who has uploaded, and see the posts even if they were made a child post of an older image.

Out of interest, how many thumbs do you see typically see on a page in the post index? I would suggest a user option for how many visible thumbs per page if you want to filter batches by mouseover.
I don't want to filter anything, I just want to be able to distinguish other posts among a batch.
petopeto said:
I don't want to filter anything, I just want to be able to distinguish other posts among a batch.
The list of uploaders I mentioned would allow you to distinguish other posts. You just look at what the non-batch uploaders have done, or filter out what the batch-uploader has done (Is that possible?)

Doing it by mouseover would be a more 'challenging' You would want more visible thumbs available on the pages.
The whole point is that I don't *want* to filter batch posts (and no, it's not really possible, the index can't "toggle" users without breaking caching). I don't want to weed through a separate list, or expect others to. I want to navigate the index normally, and just have a simple way of telling which posts were from a batch.

The mouseover already works fine, and doesn't need any more thumbs visible. I'm finding it useful for non-batch posts, too ("what else on this page was/wasn't uploaded by the same person").
I'm finding it useful
I would find the other method useful, but if it breaks caching then I'll have to forget about it.