Close
animefan01 said:
Design inspiration?
I've been having trouble designing characters lately... I've written lots of stories and most of their designs are done, but the final characters, I'm having trouble to design...
It's supposed to be 3 characters.
1- Supposed to be a mermaid, but I don't want to go with a stereotypical design. I tried googling " anime mermaid " but big eyed lolis aren't what I think about when I hear "mermaid'
2- Ice Prince
3- Fairy
It doesn't sound hard at first, but I want my designs to stand out and I don't know how...
All of them are in the same story, which is obviously fantasy fairy tail like...
Any ideas?
The biggest advice I can give is to build your designs from life experience and your visual library. try to think about things beyond just what someone else has done and tie into the themes that "make up the character." try building spider diagrams to build. conversly; try to visit art museums and take in visual culture, it helps add to a growing visual library which in turn will help character designs.

I'm just gonna throw some ideas out there, feel free to use them.

1.(mermaid). staying away from stereotypes, a mermaid is simply a sea dwelling hominid. Think about things that are not only just into the sea, but tied to it as well. for example; check out Polynesian cultures and their art. observe art and history of seafaring cultures of all times, not just the stereotypical 1600's pirates type of character. taking those elements, adapting them to your goal time period. the swords from attack on titan are good examples of this; their removable cutoff blades are what people use in craft knives. they visualized the culture that spawned the technology and the design came after that. they use a lot of sword blades, so a detachable craft knife seems like a good source of inspiration.

2.(ice prince) some cool(heh) things to incorporate would be things like an ice cube tray, a hockey jersey, ice climbing pickaxe, what if he had ice boots? Maybe look at soviet military uniforms and incorporate that into a princely garment. ice cube trays have lots of pockets for water in them, maybe give him lots of pouches for supplies? Answer questions like where does he live? what does he have to do to live normally? does he compromise anything for comfort where and how he lives? What tools and customs are common to where he lives? what do they eat? is he affected by that?

3.(fariy) is a bit common and vague to be honest, but we can still work with it. shes a fairy; what is she a fariy of? What are her powers. Is she nice or mean? again, just ask the questions, the design will follow from your storytelling.

if the ideas just aren't coming, most people would recommend taking a break and going outside; taking a walk, doing something else, etc. My personal recommendation is to do hard exercise. turn on loud music and run on a treadmill or run outside. this will bring your adrenaline up and the music will help your brain run faster, which for me starts to create adrenaline fantasies when combined with the music I listen to. try to pick music that would fit your universe. you can also just listen to fitting music; but I recommend exercise too. I apologize if that sounds a little creepy though.

sorry if i went a little overboard, but in a case of artistic advice; i'd rather over deliver because it's what i would expect of someone answering my questions. hope it helps!