Close
Tutorials, examples
I'm gradually working on some introductory editing stuff. I'll bother making an index or something once there's enough material to bother, but for now there's basic crease and gap fixing and filtering: neatimage for low-frequency noise.

Other scanning and editing topics to be covered:

- basic scanning
  • don't use built-in descreening/moire filter
  • always scan at 600 DPI unless you know what you're doing
  • for speed, save as TIFF at this stage, not PNG
  • link to color adjustment
- basic GREYCstoration use (via PS filter)
  • basic settings
  • examples of when to change settings; FM screening needs much less processing (link to printing processes)
- intermediate GREYCstoration
  • multi-pass
  • masked multi-layer
- different print types
  • normal AM screening (both color and monochrome)
  • FM screening and its effects on filtering
  • contrast screened monochrome vs. screentoning and show effects on screening (never try to descreen screentoning)
- rotating/cropping
- dust removal via patch tool
  • using temporary adjustment layers to make dust more visible
- color adjustment topics
  • whitepoint, blackpoint, gamma, color casts
  • how to do this in Vuescan
  • how to save 16-bit images and do it in Photoshop
  • localized contrast adjustments via levels (eg. post #64977)
- final steps: downscaling and conversion to PNG; tools to batch this
- bleed-through in magazines; reducing with levels
- textured paper; reducing with levels and greycstoration

All of my stuff will be Photoshop-based. If anyone wants to write material using other tools, that's fine, but I think the main line of tutorials should stick to PS unless other tools are significantly better, so we're not pointing people to a bunch of unrelated software without reason.

I don't want to have a lot of text explaining technical details that are already explained well elsewhere; let's just link to external articles for that. I just want to show enough information to explain what we're talking about, and to focus on the how and why (or why not).

I do want to back everything up with example images; it's the quickest way to see what's going on. Let's keep the examples reasonably rating:s.

There are a lot of editing topics--enough to scare most people off. Basic topics should be separated to give people enough of an introduction to get started.

Any competently-written material on this (tutorials, videos, etc.) would be useful to link to. There's endless quantities of Photoshop stuff out there, but I havn't found all that much about stuff relevant to us.

If anyone out there is competant at color adjustment, I could use some help on that topic in particular; I havn't had much practice with that. Along with descreening, it's probably the most important and most challenging part of scanning.