Close
Image viewers
since moe filenames comes with tags, i drop all the files in one folder (i used to have tons of folders for each author, for certain content, etc, before coming here), and thought of using Picasa to use the tags.

but i found out that, since the images here are huge, Picasa takes too long to create thumbnails for the huge PNGs (that or, the comp i'm using is too slow, in fact it is).

so i was wondering, what program do you people use to see all these images you download/scan?
terrible picasa for scans :(
Xnview
Since mayority of my files is archived, don't want millions of jpg's extracted, for that I use ACDSee and a custom image viewer under construction by myself.

ACDSee is quite good if you ignore how often it crash ><.
Windows Picture and Fax viewer ;p I have everything sorted very neatly into a few dozen folders under a general category and another category just for loli, so it's easy to keep track of stuff without having to spend years tagging stuff.
midzki said:
terrible picasa for scans :(
Xnview
This
Radiosity said:
Windows Picture and Fax viewer ;p I have everything sorted very neatly into a few dozen folders under a general category and another category just for loli, so it's easy to keep track of stuff without having to spend years tagging stuff.
Great minds truly think alike.
Radiosity said:
I used to have everything organized that way -- but now, I just mash everything in to one giant folder.

If only there was a way to internally tag image files upon being saved to the HDD.

Anyway, I use Picasa... but upon viewing this thread, I'm going to check-out some alternatives.
Radiosity said:
so you don't search for certain pics using the tags?

i used to use Picasa (before having huge PNGs) just because it lets you search using tags, and then actually open the pictures with Irfanview, but it won't work anymore.

Bapabooiee said:

Anyway, I use Picasa... but upon viewing this thread, I'm going to check-out some alternatives.
same.

i'm gonna try what admin2 posted, Xnview and ACDSee.

[edit]
huh, i don't see a "download" button in ACDSee's webpage, i see many "US$" instead. nevermind..
Don't need to search using tags, my folders are all well-defined enough that I can find whatever I happen to want with minimal fuss.
Ponnkun said:
Great minds truly think alike.
Yup, great minds do think alike :)
Mostly use XnView to view images (They ought to fix the language support though) The Picasa image previewer is handy if I want to look at an image in windows explorer.
It seems I'm not the only one who does organize what goes where and such.

My main image folder contains 1,462 folders / sub folders etc. inside it (properties information). My media folder may or may not have more folders. I wonder what will out number the other...Image or Media (Music and Videos)? Game folders is just dead last place.

Anyway, currently using Windows Explorer for viewing and Paint and/or Irfanview for editing images.
AZD-A9S said:
My main image folder contains 1,462 folders / sub folders etc.
5,006 Folder, 111,752 files @ 234Gb on mine. Very difficult to keep it under control.
hehe got many automatic tools :P for my sorting LOL >:)

Personally I have a nice structure overall dependent on what it is :P
Doujinshis is all sorted by circles
the rest is all sorted by Author name

Those files is also always archived, and I never extract them hence why I use ACDSee, I hate extracting them as there just end up being way ot many files and way to much overhead HD space wasted not to mention TERRIBLE worser HD preformence.

I just know how it is on my poor server HD with close to 2 million files LOL.

Unsorted misc scans like from here on my own image system.
i use a custom image viewer that i wrote myself. everything is sorted by tag and i use isk-daemon for dupe detection. needless to say, my pics collection lives on a server
I actually use ACDSee and it works not so bad. I think I'll test XnView.
Consider trying out Adobe Bridge... at first I was very against it but after giving it a chance I love it.
happyhobo898 said:
Consider trying out Adobe Bridge... at first I was very against it but after giving it a chance I love it.
Not free though? (Pirating doesn't count)
at $1,799 for adobe design premium (photoshop/illustrator/dreamweaver/flash/fireworks/acrobat/bridge/etc) i doubt it
Bridge might be included in trial versions of Photoshop (it's definitely bundled with Photoshop) and those are free to try.

And if you find you like it, you can always pick yourself up a copy courtesy of p2p.
yes, good old 'extended free trial versions'
OH wow... it seems I'm the only human being here that uses Irfanview D:
happyhobo898 said:
guess you have an high spec machine. I couldn't bare its slowness.

kyoushiro said:
It doesn't have thumbnail cache, thus you're using Exploler to browse images then viewing with Irfanview, aren't you?

I'm using Massigra (it's like customized irfanview for Japanese) sometimes to view comics, & extreme high res images which Xnview couldn't work.
Radioactive said:
5,006 Folder, 111,752 files @ 234Gb on mine. Very difficult to keep it under control.
Im~pressive!

kyoushiro said:
Uh...you forgot about me...you know?
Oh, really? Didn't see your message D:

midzki: I really don't need thumbnails, and since Irfanview takes 0 resources from my computer, I can use it to browse through an entire folder quickly :)
midzki said:
guess you have an high spec machine. I couldn't bare its slowness.
Ya I have a good rig. I started using Bridge though because it generates thumbnails for bmps faster tan explorer

kyoushiro said:
Nope I use it too, but for lossless jpeg cropping (it's a plug-in)

Also I use Xnview for gifs cause Infranview animations lag :(
Uh...you forgot about me...you know?
I use it too.
and you all forgot about me, i said i use Irfanview too. i install it everywhere i go.

i just wanted a program that lets me search by tags just like Imouto. i want to see dresses, well then let's search "dress" and here i go.
Picasa looked perfect for that task, but it didn't let me open images with other programs upon double click, and other stuff.

anyway, i tried XnView. it's like a lighter, customizable Picasa. it has already crashed like twice, it also takes its time to create thumbnails for the big PNGs, but it's good, and it lets me search using tags (altought i have to press "Ctrl + F" and then "Enter" twice).
that's what i'm gonna use for now, thanks to midzki!

i accidentally opened Bridge many times, and it looked cool. but the computer i use is too slow for it.