Close
Guess I'll share mine.

1. Use the Scanning Software for initial screening. Which is the Epson Scan. (this removes all of the morie effects, so i don't have to worry about it)

• Scan at 450 - 600dpi, I usually scan at 500dpi at 24bit. As I don't resize my scans later on.
2. With my Photoshop CS2

• Crop the scan
  • Rotate it if necessary (as most scans are .010% - .050% off)
  • Aline other scans if it's a multipage spread or scan
and the Neat Image PS Plugin I use the settings.

• Profile your image first, you'll need to find an area at least 128x128, anything lower and your profiling will be worsen.
Noise Level -
  • Luminance Channel - 80%
  • Chrominance Channel - 120%
Noise Reduction Amount -
  • Luminance Channel - 80%
  • Chrominance Channel - 90%
  • Click on Smooth Edges. Very Low Frequency for paper textures.
  • Sharpening at 0% ( I don't like this feature, as I can sharpen it with PS tools)
~~ Usually a second pass will clear it up more, so try it again with these settings.

Noise Level -
  • Luminance Channel - 40-50%
  • Chrominance Channel - 0%
Noise Reduction Amount -
  • Luminance Channel - 40-50%
  • Chrominance Channel - 0%
œ Chromaniance Channel isn't needed no more as you have filtered out most to all of the noise. Specifically the green, blue and yellow crap.

3. With paper textures on darker areas, create a layer mask for it with either the quick mask or select it with the polygone lasso or the pen tool.

• Guassian Blur at 1-2 pixel or median for rougher surfaces scans.
  • You can use Dust and Scratch at 1 - 3 pixels using the preview to view how it will looking like, as this techniques has sometimes helped for me.
  • I don't like despeckle as you can't control the effects, and it never works for me.
  • I use the same settings for paper textures, Altering the Luminance Channel usually from 70 - 95%, never 100%. At 100, you're basically blurring the whole image.
  • Usually by this time my scan is a bit blurred, and i use Unmask Sharp (not peto's addon, as i haven't downloaded it yet)
œ As a note, Noise Ninja and Neat Image screening does poorly on corners

-Settings

• Amount , 50 -100% depending on how badly it needs it.
  • Radius , 1.0 - 1.5 pixels
  • Threshold , 0
  • If this isn't cleaning it up, duplicate the layer. Repeat step 2 again with the duplicate layer with much stronger settings this time and set the layer above it and change the transparency to around 10-15%, altering this to the appropriate level to gain the best result.
4. At this point i'll have any scans filtered and screened out, and i'll do color adjustment here.

• I've found the best results is a mix b/t using the Level Tool, the the Color balance and vary amount of similar color with the brush tool.
  • Usually with the scan, brightness is lost so i add a Curve Layer. I don't necessarily use a specific setting, just use it to the best of the original as possible.

• Look and see if it matches that of the physical copy and save it as PNG none interlaced and i'm done.
ps: My greycstoration doesn't seem to work at all with any settings other than initial blur that makes it goes all black so I didn't add it in.