Close
fireattack said:
put them in
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\Filters\" or similar dir. For greyc don't forget "Greyc-helper.bin" file.

And there're under filter menu in OS (very bottom).
That solved the problem and the Greyc filter shows up under the noise filters in the filters list and the Unsharp Mask 2 now shows up in the filters list also. Thanks for the help.
I shouldn't have assumed you already knew where to put them...
aoie_emesai said:
I shouldn't have assumed you already knew where to put them...
I just followed the directions that petopeto had posted "Unzip into your PS plugins directory" but it didn't say to put them in the filters folder like fireattack said.
I have a proposal: everyone chip in moneyz to petopeto to make his plugins compatible with 64bit photoshop! :D
what? it's still not compatible with 64bit? that's inconvenient for those people buying new computers.
It's only 64bit photoshop, not OS. The main limitation / issue with 32bit is that the software is limited to 4GB of information stored in RAM. When you get Photoshop it should have both 64bit and 32bit.
USM2 and greyc give constant memory errors when dealing with large scans. Always have to restart photoshop between each page.
Some reason Photoshop CS6 tends to not like to clear memory.

It might be plugin specific thing that doesn't use it, but Photoshop has a 'scratch-disk' system, which is just basically a temporary cache for RAM. Ideally assigned on an SSD with high read / write rate.
Under Edit > Preference > Performance.

Can try poking around with that?

That being said I don't mind chipping in money. :P
Oh yeah, I forgot how the old greyc and usm2 that weren't compatible with cs6 would never pop up these memory errors.

Yup just tested it out on my old comp, no matter how many times I ran greyc and usm2 on a 16bit 7000x9000 scan, they never give the error.
Cyberbeing said:
On Win7 x64 with CS6 x86, it seems to be able to handle up to the following dimensions for freshly opened images:

B5 8-bit @ 13308x18784 (1856 ppi)
B5 16-bit @ 10074x14220 (1405 ppi)

A4 8-bit @ 13312x18766 (1604 ppi)
A4 16-bit @ 10110x14250 (1218 ppi)

8-bit @ 16384x16384
16-bit @ 11648x11648

That it can just barely handle A4 16-bit (48-bit color) scans @1200 ppi is the only interesting limit out of the above, considering 1200 ppi is the optical resolution of many scanners.

You probably need at least 6GB of RAM to reach these limits though.

(Photoshop 3GB + Greyc Helper 1.4GB + Windows OS 1GB)
Last time I tested this was last year with my "r213 cs6 mod" (which reverted back to the older r57 memory allocation method) prior to admin2 posting a fixed version. Though I would assume it is still true that it can just barely handle up-to A4 16-bit @1200 ppi with GraycShop only, assuming you are running Win7 x64 with at least 6GB of RAM. But yes, this assumes that your image in Photoshop has been freshly opened, and you'll likely need to immediately save, exit, and re-open your image afterwards...

Having a 64-bit version would be nice.
Heck, if petopeto can just manage to make them act like the older versions where they never bring up the error, we wouldn't really need a 64bit version.
Photoshop added new bugs to its allocator around CS5 or CS6, which led to crashes and mysterious PS misbehavior (sometimes later on, while not using the plugin and editing a different image, which was a feature nobody liked), so it was removed to use the system allocator.

I've run both plugins back and forth over 10-15 times on a 16-bit 8000x11000 image in CS4 32-bit without issue...
is this plug-in to reduce noise? than what the difference with reduce noise at Photoshop CS5
The 64-bit build doesn't seem to be able to process images much larger than the 32-bit build. It either complains there is not enough ram (even though I have 10GB free), or on slightly smaller images it crashes as soon as you start filtering.

Did you have a maximum image size hardcoded somewhere? If so, it should probably be increased to handle up to 65536x65536 for the 64-bit build.
I see no reason to. A dakimakura cover at 300dpi would be only 7000x21000, and a bed sheet scanned at 300dpi would be 17000x21000.
In the meantime, the plugins can at least be run a numberless amount of times on my b2 poster scans in 16bit without crashing.
FWIW it was crashing on 8bit images ~17000x21000 in size.

The issue seems to be that the Greyc-helper.bin is not 64bit, so it crashes when reading the image at the following line in Protocol::ReadImageData(CImg &img) :

ReadCommandData(img.m_pData, img.m_iStrideBytes * img.m_iHeight);
Realistically though we've never even had an entire bed sheet scan.
Half the problem seems to be that Greyc-helper.bin is not set as LargeAddressAware, so it crashes at 2GB instead of 4GB. After fixing that, it can now process much larger images without crashing.

Here is a x64 build with LargeAddressAware enabled on 32-bit Greyc-helper.bin: http://www.mediafire.com/?aypsi20c5vvv53s

Though even with LargeAddressAware, Photoshop throws an error about not enough memory and refuses to launch the plugin for document sizes >2GB. So it would seem that's the real maximum limit, with Greyc-helper using slightly less than 3GB of RAM during processing on 1.99GB docs. Not a major issue since 2GB docs are quite massive, but it would be nice to see that limit loosened to 3GB docs on x64 builds to give a bit more wiggle room.
Another question, do we have 64-bit USM2?
fireattack said:
Another question, do we have 64-bit USM2?
I guess petopeto failed to mention that it's in the zip he linked lol.
The 64-bit plugin is simply to avoid issues with having to compete for address space with Photoshop, especially when GPU acceleration is turned on. The processing engine still runs in 32-bit (porting that would be a much bigger job; lots of inline assembly), but that's in a separate process so it doesn't have the same issues.
I'd really like to give it a try but it seems the only way to extract the files is to use WinZip and I don't want to download another program when I already have one that will extract most files.
fotogal829 said:
I'd really like to give it a try but it seems the only way to extract the files is to use WinZip and I don't want to download another program when I already have one that will extract most files.
are you kidding or what? which compression software you're using that cannot extract .zip? Even windows can.
I have some problems here. I have a CS6 (32bit) installed on win 8.1 (64bits). I use the filter file on the first post. When I enable "GPU" option in the greycstoration, for some files, the filter works improperly, see my psd files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fs1wprqrk8th9t0/scanraw.zip

002.psd is before applying the greycstoration filter, 002_1.psd is after.

Everything is fine if I disable "GPU" option, but that's really slow since I have to run a batch mode in filtering pics. I am using a notebook with Intel HD Graphics 4400 these days since I am often out of town. My desktop at home is O.K. with GPU enabled.

=====update===
it's possible that the original psd file is incompatible with cs6 or something in cs6. I convert all .bmp to .psd by xnconvert, those files always have above problems. It seems if I use cs6 to save .bmp to .psd in a batch mode, the above problem won't appear to new saved .psd files. I will test in future.
Twinsenzw said:
I have some problems here. I have a CS6 (32bit) installed on win 8.1 (64bits). I use the filter file on the first post. When I enable "GPU" option in the greycstoration, for some files, the filter works improperly, see my psd files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fs1wprqrk8th9t0/scanraw.zip

002.psd is before applying the greycstoration filter, 002_1.psd is after.

Everything is fine if I disable "GPU" option, but that's really slow since I have to run a batch mode in filtering pics. I am using a notebook with Intel HD Graphics 4400 these days since I am often out of town. My desktop at home is O.K. with GPU enabled.

=====update===
it's possible that the original psd file is incompatible with cs6 or something in cs6. I convert all .bmp to .psd by xnconvert, those files always have above problems. It seems if I use cs6 to save .bmp to .psd in a batch mode, the above problem won't appear to new saved .psd files. I will test in future.
I have exactly same problem years ago. IIRC it has been fixed with newer version of greyc or whatever.

Did you try x64 version? I think it's the newest version.
I've never run into that issue myself with Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CC but I've only ever used it on NVIDIA GPUs.

Have you tried increasing the memory allocated to your Intel iGPU in the BIOS, or seeing if a driver upgrade/downgrade helps at all?

The only longstanding quirk with GreycShop is how it can rarely cause portions of the image to become semi-transparent, so you should always remember to 'lock transparent pixels' on the layer before filtering.
Cyberbeing said:
I've never run into that issue myself with Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CC but I've only ever used it on NVIDIA GPUs.

Have you tried increasing the memory allocated to your Intel iGPU in the BIOS, or seeing if a driver upgrade/downgrade helps at all?

The only longstanding quirk with GreycShop is how it can rarely cause portions of the image to become semi-transparent, so you should always remember to 'lock transparent pixels' on the layer before filtering.
https://yande.re/forum/show/11092

My old problem, very similar to Twin's.

If you can switch to 64bit PS I highly recommend 64 version though: https://yande.re/forum/show/17877
What menu does GreyC show up under?

I looked under help and extensions and it appears it is registered as
a plugin, but I don't see it under scripts, automation, or filters....

Thanks... looking forward to trying it (CS5-x64)...