Close
Site changes
So people used to Danbooru can get up to speed quickly, a summary of site changes:

- There's no voting down, and you can vote 0-3-stars for each post. Favoriting is the same as 3-stars. You can use these numbers however you want; they don't affect the post differently. You can view all of your own votes, and anyone else's votes.
- Hotkeys 1, 2, 3, "`" (0) to vote (this doesn't work in Opera).
- Image search UI is fully integrated (still requires an external image search server).
- Uploaded posts are automatically dupe checked, and if a potential duplicate is found, it'll let you know when the upload completes. API posts add the possible_duplicate tag.
- Pools can be downloaded as a ZIP (requires lighttpd 1.5 and mod_zipfile).
- The old tag history has been replaced; all post, pool, tag and note changes are now stored.
- Hold shift over a post in the index to show a post summary.
- Logging in and signing up for an account is streamlined with a one-step AJAX dialog.
- Users can set an avatar from an existing post; click "Set Avatar" on the post page. Clicking someone's avatar brings you to the post it's from.
- Posts can be hidden from the index ("hide from index" checkbox, or the "hide" and "show" metatags), for secondary posts in pools, like index pages.
- Posts can be temporarily held from the index by specifying the "hold" metatag on upload, to allow tagging after uploading a batch.
- Blacklisting works in the comment index.
- The tag script box is an overlay, and has an "apply to all" button.
- Tag scripts can be applied to many posts quickly: click on one post, then drag the mouse across other posts to apply.
- Posts can be quickly reparented from the index.
- Blacklists can be disabled and edited from the index.
- Pool order numbers can be strings (such as 9a, 9b, or "12-13"), and sorting is done naturally (9a < 9b < 10).
- The pool metatag can now specify an order number: pool:123:456.
- Searching with "pool:123" or "pool:*megami*" sorts the results according to the pools.
- Image filenames include the post number and tags.
- Like forum posts, comments can be searched and edited.
- To help search engines, a fake tag "hentai" is added to the title of rating:e posts, and hidden text is added based on tag implications.
- Mouseover a tag in the sidebar, and posts with that tag in the index will be highlighted.
- The "popular" page no longer resets every 24h, so it always has useful results.
- "Comments" is bolded if new comments are available, like new forum posts do.
- Notices are displayed in an overlay, so they're always visible.
- "Do Not Bump" and "Post as anonymous" are removed.
- Users are notified that they've had posts deleted when they load post/upload.
- Parented posts are treated specially by pools (see forum #2268 for details).
- Spoilers must be clicked, rather than hovered, and can be given text to display.
- "Random" link (or order:random) now shows posts shuffled in a fixed random order.
- Images can be inlined in forum posts and the wiki (forum #3016).

click to view the original first post
Nice changes, and I like remove vote button. Is it new or I just missed it before?
It's the same as voting 0 (neutral).
Keyboard shortcuts have been disabled in Opera. It sticks browser shortcuts on all the obvious keys (1, 2, keypad +, -, *, etc), which just doesn't leave room for webpages to use them.
Moving feature notes here; doing them in a locked thread doesn't exactly encourage feedback.

Hover thumbs are now displayed in the pool list and tag history.
petopeto said:

- "Bad" voting was there in principle for a recommendations system later, but it isn't actually useful: two people disliking the same post doesn't say anything useful about what they *will* like. This can go away.
Only good votes. No bad votes. Kinda doesn't give you a comparison of how many people like as opposed to dislike an image. I kinda liked it when there was a negative vote then you could see how many liked and didn't like a scan. But I guess you go in the direction most folks want to go. Majority rules so to speak.
I go in the direction that makes the most sense. Someone not liking a post does not cancel out someone liking it.
Canceling out votes isn't the point, comparison is. Canceling wouldn't make any sense. Unless you were give out an overall score. A positive score would mean the majority of voters liked a scan, a negative score, majority disliked a scan and a zero score would be a tie or no one voted. But I'm just babbling.
I just don't see value in measuring that.

Actually, I see harm in it; negative votes discourage people from posting things like it. If someone doesn't upload a post because people don't like it, the people who do like it miss out.
I suppose there would be some people who would be like that but not everyone. And besides, sooner or later someone will upload a scan that wasn't by someone else. I've seen scans I've done pop up here every once in a while that I haven't posted here yet. So I'm sure if one person isn't going to upload because of bad votes, some one else will. Especially if they have no real meaning other than it was liked or disliked. Having repercussions would make people shy away for sure.

And don't let me dissuade you from your present course, I'm only having verbal diarrhea. I can see where your going and for the most part people here like it. I just thought it would be interesting to see a comparison.
There are metric tons of pictures that would never be uploaded if the one person that was going to upload it had decided not to.

Changed the "Popular" link; rather than showing top voted images in the current day, it shows from the last 24 hours. This fixes the list being empty at when the day rolls around. Last week and month are listed, which fix similar problems, and last year is added. However, these lists can't be navigated (there's no "previous 24 hours", and so on). The navigatable version is still linked from the bottom.
Reworked the notice mechanism (eg. "Post updated"). It avoids having to scroll to the top of the page to read it, and doesn't shift the whole page downwards. (The source of this idea is probably obvious.)
Implemented a silly little avatar system. You can't upload images directly. Open an image and click "set avatar", the rest is self-explanatory.

There is no avatar blacklisting. Let's just keep the avatars reasonably clean; rating:q is probably fine, we'll see how it works out. (You can use any image as source, though.)
any way to disable those ?

reduces greatly the viewability of comment section
The comment view looks fine to me. It only shows each image once per screen, and it fits it so it doesn't expand the display very much. (None at all, when people actually have anything to say that amounts to more than three words...)
(of course, the layout is still experimental and I'm open to suggestions)
It does look a little odd that the avatar only displays once per screen. Any particular reason why? (Memory usage or...?)

How about a lighter background behind the actual comments section so it is easier to tell the difference between the avatars, and the image preview? It looks a bit confusing, and untidy. You need some demarcation between the preview and comments.

How about forcing the ratio for the avatar?
Radioactive said:
It does look a little odd that the avatar only displays once per screen. Any particular reason why? (Memory usage or...?)

How about a lighter background behind the actual comments section so it is easier to tell the difference between the avatars, and the image preview? It looks a bit confusing, and untidy. You need some demarcation between the preview and comments.

How about forcing the ratio for the avatar?
Seconded the background thing, or some 1px border around the comment + nick

About forcing the ratio I'm against. If it's within the limits the ratio should be user-settable
Everything looks fine here in the forum, but the comments section does need a little work.

I guess the 1px border might help?

Are we supposed to see the Avatars in the post section as well?
nvm *re-enabled abp on moe*
It displays once to reduce screen use. I'd prefer to display it each time, but I didn't want to expand the layout too much...

I'll try a background on the comment block. What window size are you using? If the window is narrower than about 800px the comments aren't placed in a separate column from the thumb. But normally (with a non-thumbnail-sized browser window), the avatars seem pretty distinct from the image thumbnails.

Avatars are shown in comments, forum posts and user profiles; they're not shown in posts (the focus there is the post).
Yay, avatars ^^

That aside, i haven't had and issues with them or the display of the comments yet

now time to find how to activate it... >.<
I really like the image area selection for setting the avatar. Thanks for adding all this petopeto!
Trying without suppressing repeat avatars. Seems useful for skimming the list quickly.
Though I think what you did was for the best. I don't think showing everyone's avatar every single post was for the best. As it is already, there's more than enough images even on the comment page.
Wow, that avatar feature is awesome. Thanks!!

(Though I suppose you'd discourage something like a close-up of a pussy? Haha...)
I don't personally care, but blacklisting won't work for avatars (that would mean having separate ratings for avatars which nobody would ever set).
Well... I'm not sure if anyone read the post before, but Peto did try to state that all avatar are G-rated.
petopeto:
It's much more nice now the comment section but I would add something to the forums and comments.

I would change the links of " Edit | Quote " and such to be always on the lower part of the comment. So if the comment is too small to end before the avatar's edge it wouldn't clog it.

Probably the text of comment would be nice too if it started at the height of the start edge of the image instead of the nick., although I'm not so sure about that.