Close
Greycstoration PS plugin
I threw together a Greycstoration PS plugin a while back. The UI's a bit rough and there was more I planned to work on, but it's useful in its current state so I figured I'd toss up a binary for people to play with. (I'll put the source up soon, but you need the PS SDK to build it...)

https://yande.re/GreycShop-r216-bin.zip

source: https://yande.re/GreycShop-r216-src.zip

Unzip into your PS plugins directory like any other plugin.

- Previewing parameter changes is substantially faster than doing it by hand.
- Click "preview" to view changes to settings. (This isn't done automatically; I don't remember why off-hand.)
- Hold down the left mouse button on the image to compare against the original.
- Hold down the right mouse button to compare against the last settings you previewed.
- While holding right mouse button, you can left-click to revert to the previous settings.
- Alt-mousewheel zooms.
- It remembers settings, but it doesn't have a mechanism to save settings to "profiles" or anything like that. Instead, use Photoshop actions to record settings. Similarly, it can be used as an action in automation for batch processing.
- 8-bit and 16-bit images are supported (32-bit images aren't).
- "Stage display" shows intermediate stages of processing, which can be useful when tweaking parameters.
- SMP is fully enabled, and (unlike the original algorithm) should not cause tile-shaped artifacts. It's still not a clean 1:1 speedup, but it can be 3x faster or better than single-threaded on my Q9300.
- There are some preview box glitches, but nothing that affects use.

Feedback is welcome, though I can't promise that I'll spend much time on it, since it's reached the point of "works well enough" and I've never intended to make a serious project out of this (just making it available since it's probably useful to a lot of people here).

(edited to reflect later UI changes)
I use Greycstoration with the GIMP, and it works well for a free plugin.
I'll go try it out later and give you my feedbacks later.

ps: Oh yeah... you didn't state which version of PS this might not be compatible with. Or does it work with all versions?
I've only tested with CS3, but it shouldn't matter as long as it's reasonably recent.
I've put it in the plugin directory, but can't actually find where to use this in Photoshop.
Bottom of the filter list (that's where all filter plugins show up).
I'm not seeing it. Do I need more than just your zip? Using CS3 Extended.
Did you unzip it into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins" or equivalent?

(By the way, it almost definitely won't work with CS4 64-bit, since it's a 32-bit binary.)

I hit a crash when using it in CMYK mode while a single channel was selected. I'll fix that at some point (though I doubt anyone but me would try using it in that mode anyway).
I did. Would being on Vista 64-bit affect it any?
It shouldn't. I'm in XP64.

Can you check your event log (not sure how to get there in Vista, in XP it's control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer) and see if there are any errors when Photoshop starts?
I do.

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\Greyc.8bf". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
That didn't fix it. Same error.
For some reason when I click on "GREYCstoration..." in filters I'm not getting any option window popping up. The history shows GREYCstoration is being used when I click on it, but there is no change to the image. I'm using Photoshop CS3 Extended on WinXP SP3 x86.

Also it seems that when I click on "Help > About Plug-in > GREYCstoration..." it crashes Photoshop with the following error in the event viewer:
"Faulting application photoshop.exe, version 10.0.1.0, faulting module greyc.8bf, version 9.0.0.0, fault address 0x00003914."

I just received my academic version of Photoshop CS4 Extended today (only $180 for the full version through my college) and it has the same issues and error:
"Faulting application photoshop.exe, version 11.0.0.0, faulting module greyc.8bf, version 9.0.0.0, fault address 0x00003914."

Any ideas petopeto?

Has anybody else got the plug-in working properly with Photoshop CS3 Extended on WinXP SP3 x86?

Eruru, try installing the Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Runtime (I included both x86 and x64 versions) that I uploaded to Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?mn2wwxnzmdy

Note: GREYCstoration was looking for Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT on my computer which is only normally installed along with Visual Studio 2008. The file above also includes all the VC90 debug runtimes which are not included in the redistributable (vcredist) on Microsoft downloads.
Thanks Cyberbeing. I'll give that a try and see if I get a similar error. Not that that's the goal of course...
I still don't see it in the Filter menu. I also still get the same error (installed the x64 on Vista)
Great, I've been waiting for a GUI long ago.
But I get the same error... Has anyone got a clear idea about the runtime library dependencies?
Updated:
- fixed a couple files being built in debug, causing the debug runtime to be pulled in (VC is carefully designed to make this a pain to track down...)
- fixed preview flickering in some zoom/resolution settings
- fixed filtering in CMYK (before, the K channel wouldn't be filtered); now, filtering RGBA will filter the alpha channel too, but this usually doesn't make any difference (scanned images don't have transparency).
- added some bounds checking so putting in bogus values doesn't crash (duh)

Previewing non-RGBA image modes like CMYK and LAB won't work (it'll either show it untranslated or not at all), or selecting just the green and blue channels of an RGB image, but the actual filtering works, so if you're tinkering and you want to try filtering CMYK print channels separately, it should be able to handle it (whether this is actually useful, I don't know). Photoshop just makes this a pain ...

I hit some crashes when playing around with single-channel filtering (eg. selecting just the R channel of an RGB image) and I'm not positive if they're fixed. Just treat it the plugin as experimental and keep your stuff saved when using it.
I'm still not getting any option/preview window when I click on the filter. It just applies instantly (with no changes to the image) and shows up in history.

I attached the Photoshop process to the Visual Studio 2008 debugger and this is what I get when I try running the plugin:

Loaded Greyc.8bf
Loaded msvcp90.dll
Loaded msvcr90.dll
Loaded winmm.dll
First-chance exception at 0x7c812aeb in Photoshop.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: ExceptionSPErr at memory location 0x0012d950..
Unloaded Greyc.8bf
Unloaded msvcp90.dll
Unloaded msvcr90.dll
Unloaded winmm.dll

It looks like something with SPErr is causing the problem.

The plug-in info window was fixed it this latest release.

Are there any other file requirements (aside from the VC9 runtimes) for the plug-in to work?
With the updated file it now appears in Photoshop for me. However I get the same thing as Cyberbeing (minus the debugger output as I don't have VS2k8).
Try redownloading and see if you get an error message.
When I use it in Photoshop I get..

registryProcs->Get: 0

If I click OK, it appears in history. But nothing happens.
Eruru said:
When I use it in Photoshop I get..

registryProcs->Get: 0

If I click OK, it appears in history. But nothing happens.
I get the same thing
Try now. I think the settings import is misbehaving.
It appears to be working this time. Quite resource intensive though, I had no idea it'd take so long. It ran 100% load for 10 minutes before finishing (after clicking OK in the settings). I believe I'd changed Interpolation to Range-Kutta but changed nothing else. The picture was 3348x4429.

Neat though. I'll have to fiddle with it more!

Edit: Selecting "nearest" instead of "range-kutta" is much much faster.
And it works.
":*.;"".*・;・^;・:\(*^▽^*)/:・;^・;・*."";.*: "

Edit: Is it normal for CPU usage to fluctuate when using the filter? http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1860/taskmanna6.png
Some of the time it will use 100% on both cores when applying the filter, but I guess threading breaks at times?

Edit2: It seems to work well, but sometimes it refuses to show "Scaled pre-tensor blur" in the preview window and instead shows the normal image. That is just a minor issue though.
I have redownloaded it but still get the Microsoft.VC90.CRT error in eventlog when starting up PS CS3...And the filter won't appear in the filters menu.
Does it have something to do with the system language? I'm using a simplified chinese XP SP2.
I'm currently using the normal Greycstoration with the GIMP, and even there it hammers my CPU when processing images. Never had that problem when using it on Kubuntu.

My own fault for installing Vista I suppose.
The other day I got a "bad allocation" error when trying to apply the filter on a 16bit AdobeRGB1998 image. Converted it to 16bit sRGB, same thing (bad allocation). Converted it to 8bit sRGB and it crashed Photoshop CS4.

After I restarted Photoshop it seemed to then have no issues applying GREYCstoration to 16bit AdobeRGB1998 image.

On that note, should your GREYCstoration plug-in have no issues filtering in color spaces other then sRGB?
If you have something new to say, don't edit posts; just make a new post. Otherwise, it won't show up or highlight as a new post, so nobody will see it.

I havn't quite nailed down CPU use. For some reason, it's just sometimes much faster than other times; I'll run it once and it'll run in 20 seconds, then I'll undo and run it again and it'll take 35 seconds to do the same thing. It's almost certainly related to the threading, but I havn't tracked it down.

kiowa, try redownloading; I dumped the VC90 runtime into the ZIP so it doesn't need to be installed separately, but I can't test if it actually works (since it works without that on my system anyway).

It seems to work well, but sometimes it refuses to show "Scaled pre-tensor blur" in the preview window and instead shows the normal image.
That's only going to show the effects of alpha and gfact, so if those are low it might not be easy to see. Also, you do need to hit the preview button after changing the stage selection.
petopeto said:
That's only going to show the effects of alpha and gfact, so if those are low it might not be easy to see. Also, you do need to hit the preview button after changing the stage selection.
Yes, I was doing that. It was working at first but after tweaking settings back and forth it sometimes stops working completely until I re-launch the filter.